3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Confused about how to use Macrium

I want to create a complete image of my entire hard drive so that should a disaster occur, I could restore my drive completely (supposedly in a brief time).
    I plan to save the image on an external hard drive. Ok, when I start Macrium, I get choices. On the right hand side, under the Create a Backup Tab, I get 3 items, all checked: NTFS Active (193.4 mb/1.46 gb; C drive NTFS Primary, 57.57 gb/282.9 gb; HDRecovery (none), 13.15 gb/13,73 gb.

What is that last one and why does it say none?

Ok, below this I have a choice to "clone this disk" (I assume that is not what I want) or "image this disk." But, also, on the left side I can click
    "image all local drives on this computer" (is this the same as the aforementioned "image the disk") or "create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore windows."

I guess I am just confused as to how to proceed.

Can someone please clear up this confusion!

Mel

Thanks
    Mel,

It all depends exactly what you want to do. In Macrium my computer looks like this.
    Capture.JPG
    My system has an SSD as the BOOT disk and a 1Tb WD HDD as the Swap/Data drive.
    When I do my images I take separate images of the SSD and the Data Partition.
    As shown above I have Disk 2 unchecked.
    I would click on the Image this disk... line below Disk 1 to make an image of Disk 1 (my boot disk).
    After this completed I would uncheck Disk 1 and check Disk 2 and then uncheck the Swap partition (no need to backup that) and then click the Data partition to select it, click the Actions... dropdown and select Image this partition only... as shown below:
    macriumpart.JPG

Clicking the "Image all local drives on this computer" in the left hand menu would do just that and image both of my drives in full. HTH

BTW: Don't forget to make your Rescue Media you'll be glad you did in case of emergency. Personally, I always boot the Rescue Media to make my Images that way Windows is out of the way while the image is being made.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am still confused, Geek

I do have the rescue media.

I only have my drive C.

So, if I understand you correctly, then I just select the "image all drives" on the upper left side of my screen?

Again, I just want an image that wil enable me to recover to that exact point (when I saved the image) in case I have a huge problem.

I will try and upload a screen shot.

(Ok, jpg file attached)

Mel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mel,

In your case you can select either "Image all local drives..." or the "Image this Disk" Option as they are one and the same in a single disk situation. Personally, I always use the "Image this Disk" selection out of habit, I usually don't even look at the menu on the left of the window.

Here's an article from the Macrium Knowledge Base. HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-01-29 at 13:47.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs