5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS gives us all a bit of good patching weather

PATCH WATCH

MS gives us all a bit of good patching weather

By Susan Bradley

With much of the U.S. focusing on cold and snow, at least Windows updates from Microsoft aren't adding to the pain. But what Microsoft gives, Apple takes away — the latest iTunes for Windows is having some serious installation issues.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/ms-gives-us-all-a-bit-of-good-patching-weather/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-01-29 at 18:07.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Susan and everyone here for your excellent advice over the years.
    In doing my end of the month maintenance, I see that MS Windows Update is still offering me some patches for Office 2010.

These two were put on hold in Susan's column of 14 November 2013, and I never did see them mentioned in the lounge.
    KB 2863902 (for MS Word 2010)
    KB 2850079 (for Office 2010)

I cannot find recommendations on the following two KBs in the main WS Patch Watch column, nor in the Lounge:
    (Both are for Office 2010)

KB 2589352
    KB 2597089

Thank you for any advice on whether these are OK to install.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aczer For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2014-02-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The iTunes problems can go rather further than reported in today's column. I ran into all these issues and reinstalled broadly as Susan had described. However, once done I found my DVD drive was inoperable with the description:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

This problem is described, together with its solution, in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7itprohardware

That restored the DVD drive, but then iTunes, when restarted, complained that the registry settings for its disc burning function had been tampered with and asked me to reinstall. Unsurprisingly, I have not and will not, since I blame iTunes for the problem in the first place.

Hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Regards

Chris

Lounger
    Thanks
    It should also be stated that with the latest iTunes update, version 11.1.4, there is a problem if you are running Norton Security. iTunes will no longer be able to connect to the iTunes store. You will get a cryptic negative error code. The solution is to go into Norton Firewall, find iTunes, and disable access to the internet. Then enable access to the internet. I don't know if this is a Norton or Apple problem. But resetting the firewall rule solves the problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rayt435 For This Useful Post:

George F (2014-02-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see the note regarding svchost.exe on Windows XP, and also your note on iTunes 11.
    I use both on my old Dell laptops at my church. With the svchost issue and iTunes 11, the machines have
    become unresponsive, and video playback in Flash is glitchy as well. With no alternative I tried
    SUSE Linux for the video playback. Video in Chrome is now smooth as silk.

On the other XP machine some changes to the user interface in iTunes 11 were causing hiccups in playback.
    And I found that iTunes 11 made the machine very unresponsive.
    I moved back to a previous version of iTunes, and restored an earlier version of the iTunes library (iTunes keeps backup versions at each upgrade). iTunes 10 on the second laptop is much smoother than iTunes 11.

Apple posts previous versions of iTunes here: http://support.apple.com/downloads#itunes
    I found even CNET was pointing to a bogus download site that tries to install unwanted software on your system,
    so go directly to Apple if you decide to downgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The iTunes update created even more problems on my Win 7/SP1 Dell desktop. In addition to the failed install and the other symptoms listed in Patch Watch, the update wiped out my Internet connection and all of my Restore Points in System Restore. Fortunately, we have a laptop that I could use to access the Internet, but it still took me many hours to get everything back together. Ultimately, I had to uninstall my wireless network adapter device driver as well as the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (with which I was unfamiliar), along with the actions mentioned above. Despite some ominous blog posts to the contrary, Windows reinstalled both device drivers automatically, and after reconfiguring the network configuration, I was back on the air.

What is disturbing is that this is apparently not the first time an iTunes update has done something like this. In searching for solutions, I found threads going back to iTunes updates in 2011 and maybe even earlier. Fortunately, one person posting did a "verbose" iTunes update and was able to document the install process and the accompanying disappearance of Internet connectivity.

I have yet to try to reinstall iTunes (which I use largely for podcasts) and will probably remain gun-shy for a while longer until I get some clue that the problem will not just repeat itself. While I have never subscribed to the "misery likes company" adage, it is a relief to get confirmation that this problem was indeed caused by Apple and not something else outside of my immediate control.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan
    I followed your advice and installed KB2913602, and immediately started getting com surrogate error messages. I searched for help with that error, but everything that I could find was outdated and referred to applications that I don't have installed.

I uninstalled KB2913602 and have had no errors since - fingers crossed.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in the same boat as Aczer - I cannot find reference to the four files Aczer listed or for 2553284, 2760781, or 2597087, all of which are MS Office updates which were released in November or December 2013. Strange that they were just now offered (2/3/14) and not in a previous search (1/22/14). I've gone back through the Patch watch columns and discussions in the Lounge, and checked the master patch list and individual monthly patch charts and havent found anything. I have looked up the KB#s on MS sites and can not tell whether these updates are needed or not - some are listed as security updates. Any Suggestions?

Thanks, Gary

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gpeyton For This Useful Post:

aczer (2014-02-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aczer View Post
    Thank you Susan and everyone here for your excellent advice over the years.
    In doing my end of the month maintenance, I see that MS Windows Update is still offering me some patches for Office 2010.

These two were put on hold in Susan's column of 14 November 2013, and I never did see them mentioned in the lounge.
    KB 2863902 (for MS Word 2010)
    KB 2850079 (for Office 2010)

I cannot find recommendations on the following two KBs in the main WS Patch Watch column, nor in the Lounge:
    (Both are for Office 2010)

KB 2589352
    KB 2597089

Thank you for any advice on whether these are OK to install.

KB2863902 came out in January? It wasn't placed on hold in November? MS14-001 was a funky one that I tried to list all the KB numbers but may have missed

Office 2010 users might not see Word updates offered if they installed KB 2837593 or 2837590 last month. For all other versions of Office, expect the following:
    ◾KB 2827224 and 2863834 for Word 2013
    ◾KB 2837615 for Office compatibility pack
    ◾KB 2837617 for Word 2007
    ◾KB 2863866 for Word 2003
    ◾KB 2863867 for Word Viewer

- What to do: Install any of the updates listed in MS14-001 as soon as they’re offered.

That included KB2863902 released in January.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2850079 is a December non security release (also would not have been in November column?) which I wrote up in the end of the year lounge recap and is okay to install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2589352 is a non security update for Office and "This update contains improvements to translations of some language names in Albanian, Croatian, and Serbian (Latin) Office 2010.". Unless you run those versions, it's optional and not mandatory.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2597089 <<< that one I can't find? Is that the right number?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

aczer (2014-02-15),gpeyton (2014-02-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeyton View Post
    I am in the same boat as Aczer - I cannot find reference to the four files Aczer listed or for 2553284, 2760781, or 2597087, all of which are MS Office updates which were released in November or December 2013. Strange that they were just now offered (2/3/14) and not in a previous search (1/22/14). I've gone back through the Patch watch columns and discussions in the Lounge, and checked the master patch list and individual monthly patch charts and havent found anything. I have looked up the KB#s on MS sites and can not tell whether these updates are needed or not - some are listed as security updates. Any Suggestions?

Thanks, Gary
    http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...h-placeholder/ The security updates wrote about them back in November in the text of the article.

MS13-091: Description of the security update for Microsoft Office 2010 (file format converters): November 12, 2013:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2553284
    That was released in November and is fine.

MS13-091: Description of the security update for Microsoft Office 2010 (proofing tools): November 12, 2013:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2760781
    Also released in November and has no reported side effects.

Description of the Office 2010 update 2597087: November 12, 2013:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;2597087
    You cannot access the Inspection Results pane in the Accessibility Checker task pane by using a keyboard

Given that you probably never use the accessibility checker task pane, this one is totally optional.

I'm wondering if you installed something that causes these to be offered up to you? As the should have been offered up back in November.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

aczer (2014-02-15),gpeyton (2014-02-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan - Thanks for that information. I don't understand what finally shook these patches loose - that computer has been patched three times since November, with no new software installed (other than patches). I am still one patch short of done: 2892074 (Dec 2013) - security update for Script5.8. Description made it sound important, but I didnt find a rating. Thanks for any help on this one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ms. Bradley:

In the January 30 Windows Secrets newsletter issue, you wrote:

"Also, here are a couple of leftover patch recommendations.
    "KB 2687455 for Office 2010 SP2 — okay to install
    "KB 2858728 [emphasis supplied] for .NET 4.5.1 — workstation users can take a pass on this update; admins should watch out for issues with the SBS 2011 platform, as documented in a Windows Server Essentials and Small Business Server blog.
    "- What to do: Install all the above updates except KB 2858728."

But in the accompanying Problem Patch Chart, the first item is .NET Framework 4.5.1, Skip, with the KB number 2858725 [emphasis supplied]. And my last Windows Update wanted to install 2858725.

Was the last digit in 2858728 a typo, or is there some explanation for two slightly different numbers for .NET 4.5.1?

My 64-bit laptop is running Win7sp1.

At your convenience, please clarify, either here or in the next Windows Secrets newsletter.

No rush for me because my laptop is a workstation and in a simple peer-to-peer network with my wife's laptop, and I don't think I need .NET Framework 4.5.1 (although Windows Updates thinks I do need it). But someone else may need the clarification.

Personally, I am simply very curious.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayt435 View Post
    It should also be stated that with the latest iTunes update, version 11.1.4, there is a problem if you are running Norton Security. iTunes will no longer be able to connect to the iTunes store. You will get a cryptic negative error code. The solution is to go into Norton Firewall, find iTunes, and disable access to the internet. Then enable access to the internet. I don't know if this is a Norton or Apple problem. But resetting the firewall rule solves the problem.
    Thanks. In one of the rare times I tried to get on the store, just this morning, I figured it being "not available" was just some Internet hiccup.
    We may not ever know if this was an Apple or Norton problem, but the experience has been that it was working before the 11.1.4 version, so is Apple doing something different with this update? Seems like a lotta iProblems lately.