5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft tightens security for Microsoft accounts

BEST PRACTICES

Microsoft tightens security for Microsoft accounts

By Tony Bradley

Your Microsoft account is the gateway to the company's many online services such as email and online storage.
    Recently, Microsoft rolled out a few enhancements to help make monitoring and protecting MS accounts easier. Here's what you should know.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/microsoft-tightens-security-for-microsoft-accounts/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks

Recent Activity List

The Recent Activity list is of little use because any actual problem would be buried amongst the dozens of POP3 logins from Outlook. It needs a filter, e.g. omit all POP3 logins from address a.b.c.d.

JPL

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry None of these were me!

I just checked my Recent Activity for the first time. I appear to be a worldwide celebrity. I wonder what other users make of this unedited screenshot of a bit of my recent history. The two attempts from the US and the two attempts from Mexico are from different places in the US and Mexico. Is this normal? Is it any cause for concern given that all of the attempts were unsuccessful?

I have two-step verification turned on and no record of successful attempts that were not me. It was a bit alarming to see that though my work connection shows up properly as being in my city, my home connection shows up as being in a city two hundred miles from me (and my ISP), but I understand why that happened and it's consistent.

Outlook history sample.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Has anyone been able to set up a Microsoft account recovery code?

Every time I've tried for many weeks at https://account.live.com/proofs/Manage I've got;

"There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, try again later."

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-01-30 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Just used it to add my cell phone to two step verification. No problems except it took several minutes to receive the one time code.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was asking about a recovery code, not two-step verification.

(From the above Windows Secrets article:

"The recovery code is a fail-safe backup that lets you access your account when two-step verification fails (or even when you haven’t enabled two-step verification").

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-01-30 at 12:25.

Thanks
    Sorry about that Bruce. Your original link took me to two step verification. Might have been a History thing.

Anyway, I was able to create a Recovery Code without any problems.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I couldn't get a recovery code until I'd turned on two-step verification; but that's not the way it's meant to be according to the WS article and MS instructions.

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to ask a question that hasn't been answered for me yet. It seems that Yahoo and facebook and others are going to a phone number as one of the 'id's' that are required to access their services. Now, I for one, don't have access to a phone that has text. Some people don't have a cell phone, and others have a phone that cannot have text [maybe they are addicted to text messages and have had their text access cut off--I cut off my son's texting rights when I received a large bill], but for various reasons they don't have text. So what resources do Yahoo, and others suggest. A house line doesn't have a text availability. Do they not understand that?
    And also, they leave no place to tell them that you can't give them a phone #.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I need to correct an assumption in my earlier posting. I had an account that did have texting, but on the service that I have now, I do not have it. It is cheaper to have the simply basic phone service.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this is relevant to your situation, but a lot of times, when I sign onto Facebook, I see that I am listed in a different city from where I actually am at. Sometimes this is just funny and I don't take the time to correct it. Sometimes I think it could be an asset to be shown in another place several hundred miles from where I am.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I couldn't get a recovery code until I'd turned on two-step verification; but that's not the way it's meant to be according to the WS article and MS instructions.

Bruce
    I don't have two-step verification, and I could create the recovery code.

Could be that this was a local or regional, and probably temporary, system glitch.

I never let anyone send me a text message to let me into a service. I haven't been locked out of anything online ever. But banks and some web services have begun to make me answer several Security Challenge Questions if I don't use two-step verification. Sometimes these Challenge Questions ask for information whose origins I cannot account for. I definitely have not set up the Questions or the "correct" answers (some of which are actually not correct at all!).

Geolocation by web sites can be farcical. They are actually not getting your location through GPS or anything like that. They record the nearest telephone or Internet Gateway Exchange location and use that as your location. This regularly places me twenty miles away from where I really am, even though I am in a very densely populated and well connected urban area.

If you really want to look like you're someplace far away from your actual location, download a browser extension which uses an anonymous proxy (if the service will permit such connections). Then you can be in North America but be detected as being in Asia or Europe.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-02-19 at 14:40.
    -- Bob Primak --