New Lounger

Sony vaio computer won't print

Hopefully someone can help me, because tech support (talked with them 5 times!) couldnt help.
    Here's the situation: i went to work Monday and no one (5 people) could print. After I pinged, configured, unplugged the power and then the wireless. I can't seem to find any help online so i came here for help! I have a sony vaio computer and a Workcentre 5325 Xerox printer.

After some tinkering I was able to get all of the others to print their stuff, but not mine. You can plug in a usb to printer and only some of the files show on the xerox machine. Also, when I try to print, the machine beeps at me in five beep intervals. I only get error message (printer unable to print) and sometimes it just beeps. It does however say that on the devices and printers section that the printer is working and the default printer...well most of time..sometimes it says that the printer is the default one but has a caution cone next to it...and trouble shooting only says that the device is ready.

Please help! I need my computer at work!

Welcome to the Lounge!

It sounds like whoever needs to print plugs in the printer cable to his computer, then prints. If that is true, and if it works for everyone except for you, then you might try powering your computer off, plugging in the printer cable, then powering your computer on. Sometimes devices work better if they are available as Windows is booting up.

However, a better way for all to print to the Xerox is to make it a true network printer. I'm not sure what the setup is in your office, so I will describe a basic setup which will work.

Each device (that is, all computers and the Xerox machine) should be connected to a router. (A basic router will do; you don't need anything fancy.) Laptops can be connected wirelessly or wired, it doesn't matter. What matters is that they are all connected to the router. On a standard router, you won't have enough ports, so any which can connect wirelessly will help that situation. To add more ports, simply plug in a basic "switch" to one of the router ports. This will give you four ports instead of one.

Now that everything is connected through the router, you should be able to install the Xerox 5325 printer driver on each computer. The install process will search for (and find) the Xerox; you will select it as your printer. That's all there is to it.

I have found that if I first assign an IP address to the network printer, it is very easy to then find the network printer when I am doing the install procedure on each computer. If you are unable to get it completed without doing that, post back here and I will explain how to do it.