Thanks

Top 5 tweaks to make Windows 8.1 feel more familiar

Microsoft's Windows Experience Blog:

Top 5 tweaks to make Windows 8.1 feel more familiar

Bruce

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-01-29)

Thanks
    His opening paragraph states that you are familiar with Windows 7 or XP, and that the following five tips will make Windows 8.1 more familiar, i.e., more like Windows 7 or XP.

Therefore, his tips should be called "Top 5 tweaks to make Windows 8.1 work better", because only the first two tips will make it more familiar. All the other tips simply tell you how to make Windows 8.1 work better. In fact, tip two (same picture on your desktop and the start screen) seems more how to ease you into the brave new world of the start screen rather than making things more familiar.

They left off the best way to make Windows 8.1 feel more familiar: INSTALL ONE OF THE ADD-INS WHICH GIVES YOU A WINDOWS 7 STYLE START BUTTON.

The whole thing reads like Microsoft propaganda, trying to convince you that the new start screen is the way to go, while calling it something else entirely. In fact, the author made sure to put the only truly "familiar" tip as tip 1, so you would believe the "familiar" bit right away.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-01-30 at 02:43.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Her number five is all about familiarity. Number four is a stretch though as it's about new features.

Bruce

Thanks
    You're right, it is "her", not "him". As far as always opening the browser, if you are accustomed to always working in the browser, then yes, it would give you some familiarity with the way things were. If you aren't accustomed to always working in the browser, however, then this would make things more familiar only in the sense that you are accustomed to browsing, and so you are doing an activity that you did in the past. Kind of like when I was in boot camp -- whenever I got a letter from home, I read it over and over. I don't normally read letters over and over, but in the very stressful and unfamiliar environment of boot camp, you grab onto anything that is familiar. And in the very stressful and unfamiliar Metro interface, I guess it would be helpful to browse, so that SOMETHING, ANYTHING is familiar to you.

Sounds like Microsoft is trying to do anything that they can to convince people that the new Metro Interface is not so bad after all.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-01-30 at 12:47.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed (or it's highly frowned upon) to mention solutions other than those provided natively by Microsoft. It goes back to a statement I heard Ed Bott make one time, to paraphrase, "I try to make the best of what is there." The subsequent problem I always had with Ed is that he then tried to compare that favorably with what is available outside the Microsoft box; at least here it just seems to be the best foot forward that can be managed whilst inside the Microsoft box.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe