gif grapics won't show in thumbnail

I am running windows ME and the thumbnail feature is
    great. Something I've done now makes the gif
    files only show as a IE icon in the thumbnail view.
    Jpg's and bmp graphic show up fine. All I get where the
    picture is suppose to be is the text and the IE Icon.
    If I dbl. click the Icon then the picture will show up.

Can you tell me how to fix it? It used to work.

Thanks a million,

Re: gif grapics won't show in thumbnail

<A target="_blank" HREF=;EN-GB;q192573&GSSNB=1>Q192573</A> Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer

MS seem to have revamped their KB site so I don't know if the above link will work, so the above states:

IMPORTANT : This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

When you click an image icon in Windows Explorer, the picture preview may not be displayed in the left pane.

NOTE : Previews are available only if you have the View As Web Page option enabled for the folder that contains the image file.

This behavior can occur if the file association for the type of file that you are trying to preview has been changed by a third-party program.

Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

To resolve this issue, verify that the following registry entries exist for the type of file that you are trying to preview:

Registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT file type ShellEx{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Value: (Default)="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

The following file types use the registry values listed that are listed in the "Resolution" section:

For additional informationabout thumbnail previews, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q176882 How to Enable Thumbnail View for Folders in Windows Explorer

NOTE : This issue has been know to occur after an installation of Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1. This was resolved by running the Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

Re: gif grapics won't show in thumbnail

I want to view the file folder on the C drive where I have the images for jpg,bmp & gif's. The jpg & bmp show the image but the gif's only show the big e which is the association for Internet Explorer. To see them I have to click on the Icon and then the gif graphic is visable. I want to see all the images in the folder in the thumbnail view at one glance. I was working a few weeks ago. I tried the IE repair tool and there was no success. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?