New Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling OS on to ThinkPad

Hi all,
    Long time since I was here. Help needed re installing OS onto Laptop.
    A school were donated a mix of 12 laptops thinkpads T61, T400 T500 T510. The company that had them used Ubuntu. I have been given the task of putting the OS onto them. I have universal disk for win vista business. When I use the disk it goes as far as loading files and then stops and wont go any further it says needs drivers. Thought Hard drives dont need drivers. What do I need to do?

Thanks
    D

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "it says needs drivers"
    --- What is the exact statement?

you probably need to go to each models website
    see if this one for the T61 is helpful
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page#

I don't use Ubuntu, but I'll be interested in whether or not that's a factor for whatever reason

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. Thanks for reply. I insert win 7 cd. this is the sequence, loads files, install win 7, dialog box appears with question, Where do you want to install windows. This is blank with a message at the bottom - no drivers were found click load driver to provide mass storage driver for installation. I clicked on load driver button iget this message - to install device driver needed to access your hard drive insert installation cd etc. Which I dont have or didn't get. The problem then is the cost of getting the insallation cds from lenovo is putting the school off. The company gets these laptops from lenovo where they install Ubuntu they say it easier to use and virus free.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have a “universal disk for win vista business” and it should do the job for you, correct?
    Do you know the 25 character id number for each computer for when Vista will need to be activated?

I tried to find out how to get back to Vista from Ubuntu and found this
    --- The following link mentions XP but I believe the principle is the same
    --- Most of the sites I found dealt with going from Vista to Ubuntu, dual booting, or the usual Vista complaints
    --- Consider googling that topic; you might find an explanation that suits you
    Switch back to Windows after installing Ubuntu http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/554
    --- That site has good recommendations on how to get out of Ubuntu and back into Windows
    --- It doesn't seem to be straightforward inserting your Vista install disc
    --- It appears you need to partition your hard drive properly and that’s probably why you are getting the drive error you are getting

As far as the company using Ubuntu and saying it’s easier to use and virus free
    --- Virus free I believe to be true
    --- Easier to use is fine for those who know how to use it , most people don’t know how to use it
    --- According to Usage share of operating systems
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems
    as of Dec 2013, Linux is 1.73%
    --- If Linux was so easy to use (learn & use) I’m sure it would be accelerating much higher than that
    You can also go to the Non-Microsoft's OSes forum to see if helps to understand Linux better if you are interested

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What format are the hard disks in the donated Thinkpads? They could be one of the Linux formats, e.g. EXTx, which windows install won't be overly impressed with. The install disk should give you the option to reformat but it might be easier to do it yourself manually.

Download a bootable copy of Partition Wizard if you don't have one and burn it to a CD.
    Boot the CD and take the default Partition Wizard boot.
    Delete all the partitions.
    Create a new primary NTFS partition to cover the whole disk, or whatever partition configuration you prefer.
    Remember to click Apply to actually do it.
    When that is done, go to the Disk tab (still in Partition Wizard) and click "Rebuild MBR".

When that is done, you have a Thinkpad with a clean blank NTFS disk.
    Your Vista install disk should then operate normally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sav For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-06)