New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatted Fields in Word 2007

I would like to create a template to be used as a form that has a simple 2 X 8 table. In some of the right column table cells, I would like a format for Date "DD/MM/YYYY" and one other a format for Social Security Nr. "###-##-####". The user of the form would tab to each of these cells and simply enter numbers and the resulting displayed number would have the formatting applied.

I have looked and researched for a simple way to do this but have not been successful. I can do it in EXCEL but my users have Word and are not used to EXCEL. I am somewhat familiar with the Developer tab and what it has to offer, but I am not a VBA coder and don't want to go to all that trouble.

Is there a simple way to do this in Word 2007?

Thanks for your help!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been looking at Field Codes and how to enter them. Would the "Fill-In" field be the right one to use? Can I use a number switch with this code to format the date or SSN? If not which one should I use?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Yes, you could use a FILLIN field with the appropriate date switch for the date and numeric picture switch for the SSN.
    The date switch would be input as: \@ "DD/MM/YYYY"
    The SSN switch would be input as: \# "000'-'00'-'0000"
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply and info. I'll give that a try today.