New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't boot windows 7 (64) because keyboard and mouse dead (to windows)

A couple of days ago, my keyboard and mouse stopped working while booting into windows 7 premium (latest updates.)
    The led comes on in the mouse, AND the mouse and keyboard work in the bios and in a dual booted linux OS.
    In checking online, it looks like my windows usb drivers might be corrupted.
    I am able to mount the windows partition in linux and look through the windows files. Is there a way to delete/update the potentially corrupted drivers, while in the linux system, to make the windows os install new ones ?

Thanks
    Can you boot into safe mode? If the keyboard works in BIOS you should be able to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 immediately after the BIOS splash screen appears. You could then try a system restore to a point prior to the problem.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd love to be able to boot safe mode. When I use the F8 key, it does bring up the boot order screen (which I need to boot into the linux os,) but I never get an opportunity to boot into windows other modes. It just continues to boot up regular windows, where I can't go any further because of no keyboard or mouse. I have tried a dozen times with many ways to press the F8 key. No success.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have a Windows System rescue disk? You may be able to boot from it and use System restore to go back to a restore point that works for you.

Alternatively, if your computer has "old" PS/2 ports, you can consider using a USB -> PS/2 adapter to get your keyboard to be used again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have a rescue disk.

Computer has no "old PS/2" ports, Just USB. Also, I have tried alternate mice and keyboards. I think I am going to have to get into the 'guts' of the windows usb drivers on the linux mounted partition.

BTW, I also have a usb 3.0 board installed (no 3.0 on motherboard) and those ports don't work either. All of these usb ports work under linux. (ubuntu 13.10)
    Last edited by rukem172; 2014-01-30 at 22:00.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You won't be able to do much from the Linux side. If you have someone else with a Windows 7 x64 OS or another computer, you can build a rescue disk there and use it in yours to try to perform a System Restore.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmmm Well, I have a windows 7 32 bit and a windows 8.1 64 desktop, but afraid no win 7 64 bit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can buy one for $8 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=proposolut-20
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I had a situation once where USB got totally hosed on my computer. My USB mouse and keyboard would not work. The only way I could fix the problem was to connect a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Once I did that, it was an easy fix.

In order to be able to do this, you have to have PS/2 ports on your computer.

Check out the following discussion on genuine PS/2 controller cards (that is, they provide true PS/2 functionality without converting from USB to PS/2):

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Would-Not-Work

If you can get a true non-USB PS/2 controller card which provides PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports for your computer, you can then use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ruirib. I have the recovery disk on order from Amazon. (Thanks Prime.)

And mrjimphelps. I like your idea, but I don't have another slot for the PS/2 controller card. I could get around it, but I have already given away or thrown away all of my PS/2 devices.

Many Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was just looking at this article http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...tem-rescue-cd/ and if you can get into Windows/System32 to change the password with a Linux Rescue Disk then you may be able to do something about the USB drivers, but as I'm not Linux conversant, it's only a suggestion.

Just as a belt & braces you may also be able to uninstall KB2862330.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-31 at 17:17.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rukem172 View Post
    Thanks Ruirib. I have the recovery disk on order from Amazon. (Thanks Prime.)

And mrjimphelps. I like your idea, but I don't have another slot for the PS/2 controller card. I could get around it, but I have already given away or thrown away all of my PS/2 devices.

Many Thanks
    I suggested it because that might be the easiest way to get back up and running.

In my case, I did have PS/2 ports on the computer, and I was able to scrounge a PS/2 keyboard and mouse from another computer. With a working mouse and keyboard, it took about 15 minutes to fix the problem. Without the keyboard and mouse, it would have been a massive hassle.

In my view, all motherboards should have PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports for emergencies. You may never need them, but if you ever do, you will be very happy that they are there.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-01-31 at 17:32.