2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's the reason why you still run 98?

I could never get UNO (see attached)to run in Native XP (and didn't even bother trying in my XP VM) and I couldn't get it to run in Win7 64-bit either. Had the Win98 SE Plus disk so why not. lol

Had to also mount a virtual image of UNO; it's a hybrid CD and had a lot of issues back when I created the Virtual Image as I recalled and ended up using CDmage (believe it's Open Source; tried to do a search at SourceForge but couldn't find it but I still have it and I downloaded it back in 2003; lol). I had my 98 VM even before I installed Win7 on my computer. I did disable all network access to it for obvious reasons.

Anyway, now that I shared why I keep Win98 around, why do you folks do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded to ME from 98SE and it's running in VM so with stable drivers it does not crash often at all. In fact it's darn near as stable as my XP installs. I like to see what old programs or ones that still have a 98-ME-2000 version (like XnView) can do. Later versions of VLC player and other software works if KernelEx is installed. I can't watch full 1080P video without some screen tearing because it's running in VM but my 960s (between SD and 720P) play just fine. I can get into my SkyDrive with FF 8.0, haven't tried uploading anything there though (I will).
    I also run it to show how unimportant updates and antivirus is compared to a hardware firewall and vigilant user-screening.
    Also its just more fun than trying to make sense out of Win 8; I suspect I'll never get used to those crippled little things folks call apps on a real computer.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    I recently set up Oracle Virtual Box with Windows 2000 on a Windows 8.1 machine. The user had two very old Bible reference programs -- a Hebrew and a Greek encyclopedia.

Neither program would install in Windows 8.1, not even in Compatibility Mode (XP). But everything worked fine with Windows 2000.

I never could get Windows 98-SE to work correctly in the VM, and so I went with Windows 2000.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i have two 98se boxes in use.

they work.
    faster than the xppro systems because i ripped out the antivirus stuff and dont connect to the net ever.

all the aps are on them.
    dont want to buy new versions.
    cant buy all of the aps in new versions at all.

all the data is on these machines.
    dont want to move it. espcially when the aps wont come along too.

Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    I could never get UNO (see attached)to run in Native XP (and didn't even bother trying in my XP VM) and I couldn't get it to run in Win7 64-bit either. Had the Win98 SE Plus disk so why not. lol

Had to also mount a virtual image of UNO; it's a hybrid CD and had a lot of issues back when I created the Virtual Image as I recalled and ended up using CDmage (believe it's Open Source; tried to do a search at SourceForge but couldn't find it but I still have it and I downloaded it back in 2003; lol). I had my 98 VM even before I installed Win7 on my computer. I did disable all network access to it for obvious reasons.

Anyway, now that I shared why I keep Win98 around, why do you folks do?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's my short story. I've installed WinXP as my second OS when it came out, and during a year I've moved there completely (mostly). Later I've built up a second PC with Win98+dos for older games. I remember I've completed System Shock 1 and Sonic CD on it

Last year I've made a second (fourth actually) PC for Win98 and WinXP, to run old DirextX 6-7 games in stereoscopic 3D (nVidia 3D Vision doesn't support them). And what I've noticed - it's damn fast! Win98 starts within seconds on Barton 2500, and it's usable! There's a compatibility layer called KernelEx which allows you to install and run a lot of programs designed for Win2000/XP. Amazing! The only problem is that it likes to crash a lot. And my current old hardware cannot emulate EMS memory in DOS (emm386 writes an error), which is needed for Jungle Strike (it works with some frame skipping in DOSBox).

Photos:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still like to play the oldie but goodie games like Doom, Quake, Comanche 3, Comanche 4, Tomb Raiders 1 thru 5, Delta Force 1 thru 3, and the early Half Life series. I still use the computer I built in 2001 with Win98SE. Most of these games play better in an 800 x 600 resolution on an older monitor. I have updated the hard drive to a 40 Gig and the Ram to 384 MB. I never get tired of playing these old games. I also put in a DVD player and updated the sound card so I can play non-widescreen DVD's of old movies and TV shows. It's nice and fast ever since I took out the antivirus. I only use my newest Win 7 computer to venture onto the internet with.
    Forget youth, what the world needs is a fountain of smart.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a few old games, too, which I run in Win98. That system has a Pentium (P100) and a 40 GB Hard Disk Drive.
    But mainly I have shared several folders on its HDD and store text files on it (running commentaries on different subjects) which I update from any of the other computers on my LAN. It's like a old scratch pad which I've been using since about 1999.

RockE