Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Disconnect C:\ ?

I got a new-to-me Lenovo and installed my W-7 on it. The strangest of all things is that if I click on the icon to disconnect whatever is connected as USB device, it also now offers me the option to disconnect C:\. Ouch ! Do I want to do this ?
    This Lenovo also runs XPE, whatever. How can I rid the machine of this ? The BIOS will not allow me to change anything, the last page is Exit and has no selectable line except : Disregard all changes and boot ! I did the BIOS jumper reset, nothing changed. I am all eyes here. JP.

Thanks
    Did you have any other drives connected to the computer besides the primary internal hard drive? Sometimes Windows will assign the letter C:\ to an external drive.

I would disconnect all drives (flash drives, external hard drives, etc) except for the primary internal hard drive, and then I would do a clean install of Windows 7. Then, after finishing the install, I would reconnect whatever drives you want connected.

By having only the one drive connected during the install, Windows should assign it the letter C:\.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It can also be the system drive but in AHCI mode and as such it supports hot-swapping and picked up on that instead of realizing the system drive should never be disconnected. There should be no danger of it actually dismounting if accidentally chosen but I'm pretty sure theres a registry entry to designate the drive (SATA channel) as internal only.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to you both. It is showing the C:\ as the only candidate to be disconnected, strange ! This is new to me. I went into Drive management and it only shows the one device connected. But fear not, I tried to disconnect it and it said that the drive was in use, ( hey, the machine is booted ! ) and that it can not be disconnected. Peace of mind. I will live with this strange as it is. A great SB weekend to you two. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From what I understand of http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ofessional.pdf it would seem that XPE is an OEM additive for XP Pro which was probably the original OS on that machine although XPE can be booted as a separate OS http://www.ehow.com/info_12173857_window-xpe.html which maybe why you are getting the C: to be disconnected ?

This article gives the steps to uninstall XPE http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...bedded.5).aspx but you may want to create a restore point/image first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There may be a bios option to turn of the hot swap capability for some SATA connections. There was on my system. When I first set it up my c drive showed up as removable.
    George

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    HS, good morning.
    This BIOS is locked, the last page, Exit, has one live line, it says, Disregard all changes and boot. Dire straights. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo 15, hello. I will have to study that machine a little more and rephrase my request. Your solution, thanks, does not apply as this takes place even before the BIOS is fully loaded, booted or read. I now think that this machine was part of a network controlled by a team of ITs and they had IBM,s help in controlling it by inserting this command in the CMOS. All takes place at the very start of the boot process. I have reset the jumper on the CMOS board to no avail. Is there another way to reset it ? It is possible that such a dedicated machine was set to run as IBM ( Lenovo ) intended for a large customer. This dealer has shelves full of like machines. Still listening I am. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, me again. I am now trying to burn a new BIOS into this machine. At the moment, most of the IBM sites are down due to maintenance. I will try again later. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

Why not just take it back to where you bought it and ask them to explain what's going on ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, hi. Take it back ? Where is your pioneering spirit ?

This morning, I got a BIOS update from the IBM site but ended up with the same problem. I used SIW and noted that the BIOS indeed was burnt. These little aggravation are just that and I am still trying to learn in overcoming them.

One huge mistake on my part, it is not XPE that bothers me but PXE, which is an Intel app that looks at all the network to initialize all the stations, or so I understand. It stands for Preboot eXecution Environment, then Intel Boot Agent runs. I do not need this, I can see where in a large site, it would connect all machines, maybe.

The BIOS being frozen is my main problem, I can not change the boot process to DVD as first choice even if I can tap F12 and then select it, an unnecessary step.

No need to loose any sleep over this Sudo. Thanks anyway. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That advice was based upon what you had told us and where OS's are concerned when problems are apparent from the word go with computers of unknown provenance, then it's usually best to take it back to the vendor.

In Post #8 you say whatever happens, occurs before the BIOS is fully loaded but with PXE that isn't the case and I still think that you should take it back if only to find out how this machine has been set up, or at least contact the vendor. http://www.howtogeek.com/57601/what-...an-you-use-it/

Does it have a factory reset option as you want rid of PXE.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-02 at 18:18.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good advice Sudo. This is getting to be a game for me. So far, after reading up on the setup, I found out that the PXE is into the Ethernet device, there is a CMOS-ROM on it that gets going during the booting. I got a 10/100 of my own in it and now the nuisance is gone, the on-board 10/100 is not connected.

This leaves me with the funny BIOS, I am still studying it. I will seek a different BIOS to burn.

If I were to take it back, this seller has nothing else to offer as a replacement, I am more or less stuck with pursuing this project as I also have my W-7 installed on it and all my apps too. This is my secondary machine. All I have to do now to boot it is to hit F2 during the process and it is very much like a regular machine, runs good too.

It is much easier for me to speck this, I tremendously appreciate your trying to help. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Contacting the vendor wasn't so much as to seek a replacement but to find out if anything has been done to it, especially in the light of the BIOS problem.

I must admit that it's a nice feeling to know that you've fixed something yourself, but you have to be careful with BIOS upgrades/installs as you could brick the pc, but good luck.