2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing old windows update files

I have downloaded and run the new version of cleanmgr Disk Cleanup Wizard, which now removes old Windows Update files. I checked the hard disk free space before and after and it has only increased by 1GB. The machine is two years old and I must have installed hundreds of updates in that time, so I expected a much bigger increase in free space. I have tried to find the folder where update downloads are stored to check but cannot find it - any comments.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    This is exactly why I don't use 3rd party software like this....is says so right in the main features of it's web page......up to 1 GB.

Main Features:
    Recovers upto 1Gb of drive space
    Recognize and deletes more than 50 types of junk files
    Extimely fast
    Easy to use
    Compatible with Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7

http://www.abyssmedia.com/dcwizard/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-02-03)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    The native cleanmgr.exe (Disk Cleanup), when used with the option to clean up system files, is good enough for the job. Give it a try.

You can also try to reduce the size of the winsxs folder. Here is how: http://www.ithacks.com/2011/06/23/re...s-folder-size/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-02-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. First, Disk Cleanup Wizard is a Microsoft enhancement to Win 7 SP1 that allows cleanmgr.exe to now clean up old update downloads no longer required (it is not 3rd party software) as recommended in an article by Fred Langa. I have found the folder winsx and it is 7.3GB; none of the folders/files appear to be update downloads and virtually all seem to be original folder installations that have never been accessed. Presumably the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /superseded" has the same effect as the enhanced cleanmgr.exe. Are all updates stored in winsx or are they somewhere else - if they are in winsx presumably they have all been cleaned out and only amounted to 1GB - I only install "important" updates so maybe that is why it was only 1GB.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    It's not clear from Microsoft's description of the cleanup wizard what it does, but I think it's not hard to guess it uses what is described in the article I linked.
    Rui
    -------
    R4