Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If there's no change after trying a different cable or proving the one you are using, download AdwCleaner onto a working computer and copy across to see if it finds any PuPs.

While trying another browser is part of the FF troubleshooter, did you get the same problem with IE ?

Leave Comodo off for the time being and check that Windows Firewall is running http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-off=windows-7

I wasn't aware that Avira was like Avast and didn't have its own firewall.

I think that you will need to download the Chipset drivers rather than relying on Windows for the SM Bus Controller driver.

Did you try Action/Scan for hardware changes in Device Manager ?

Can you also open a command prompt as an administrator then type and enter sfc /scannow and let us know what it reports.

Go Start, type msconfig then press Enter and check under the Startup tab and check Services to see if the Phone app is listed as a Start up item.

Can you also check Programs & Features to see if it's listed and uninstall if there.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-04 at 05:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni: I tried (3) three known good cables- no change.

Sudo15: I downloaded and installed 'AdwCleaner' program on the problematic computer, and after running the
    program, no unwanted programs appeared.

I in fact tried IE and Dragon browsers beyond Firefox and neither would connect to the internet.

I did verify that Windows Firewall was on and working.

I ran 'Action/scan' in Device Manager but it yielded nothing.

Need help with 'sfc /scannow' running as administrator. I am in administrator now and typed
    'sfc /scannow' but received a message that I have to run as administrator???

I ran 'msconfig' and under 'startup ' and 'services' tabs and no Phone app was listed there?

Need help with this one! When I have opened 'Programs & Features' what am I targeting for uninstall?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pre-amble: I am a relative novice compared to most people on this site, so my comments may not have any bearing on your problem... With that said:

I had intermittent Internet Connections on my Windows 7 desktop, much like you are describing. After much googling, I think my problem lies with the Bonjour Service for Windows (Apple service), that was installed via Photoshop CS3 and I-tunes. I'm old but seem to remember a similar problem in XP... So I went into my old XP machine and discovered that I had changed the Bonjour Service from automatic (default) to Manual.

So I went into my Windows 7 > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tasks > Services and changed the Bonjour Service from automatic (default) to Manual. So far on restarts I have not lost my internet connection, so I think this is the solution (for me at least).

Sounds simple? Well there is one caveat: The Bonjour Service (at least in my Windows 7 with Photoshop CS3) is not called Bonjour Service like it was in Windows XP. Believe it or not, it goes by the following name: ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762# #
    It was at the top of the listings of services, and when you click on it the tabs that open identify it as the Bonjour Service ... totally beyond me...
    Note: changing the Bonjour service from automatic to manual still allows programs (Photoshop and I Tunes in my case) to run. It just does not load automatically which in my case, destroys the Internet connection. (It appears to create a Public Network, allowing the sharing of I Tunes / Photoshop modules, which my Windows 7 can't handle...)

So that has solved my problem. It may not be related to your problem, especially if you don't have the Bonjour Service installed. But you might want to look under Services to see, and if it is there you might want to give it a try, until some of the people here who really know, give you some advise.

Jim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The file that would be downloaded for Windows Phone shows it as WindowsPhone.exe so I assume it would be listed in Programs and Features as Windows Phone.

To run the Command Prompt as an administrator go Start and type cmd.exe then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

As it could be worth checking to see if you have Bonjour and its status, check that all your Network Services are Started as well.

Go Start, type services.msc then press Enter.

Their start up type should be Automatic or Manual

COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP Netbios helper
    Wired Autoconfig is set to manual.
    Workstation

If a service is not running, click on it to highlight then click on Start.

If it fails to start then right click on it and select Properties to check the Dependencies and that each of them are running.

Any Dependencies that aren't listed in Services can be found in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers and if they are buggy, they could have a yellow alert against them.

Their status can be found by right clicking on them and selecting Properties.

Under the General tab will show if they are working properly and clicking on the Driver tab will show its start up type and depending which of the Start and Stop buttons are active, whether it is started or not.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-04 at 18:47.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Akjudge: Checked services and there is no 'Bonjour' listed nor a similar string as you have listed in
    your post.

Sudo15: I ran 'sfc /scannow' and a message appeared stating, 'Windows Resource Protection did not
    find any integrity violations'.

I again revisited services, and each of the items that you provided were in fact listed as either
    'automatic or manual'.

I again checked the NIC adapter and it indicates that it is working.

Further, I clicked on 'Local area Connection status' and it is registering Bytes sent and
    received as I studied the icon. Also, 'IPv6 Connectivity' indicates 'no network access' ????
    Why would 'Local area Connection status' show Bytes sent and received if I cannot connect
    to the internet??

Thanks
    I note in post #5 that this problem only appeared a few days ago.

Have you tried restoring the problematic system to before then?

Also, if you type

ipconfig

from a command prompt, which IPv4 address does it show?

ETA One final question, you state that it blows out Firefox, what do you mean by that? Does Firefox crash, close down or is just unable to access the internet?
    Last edited by Browni; 2014-02-04 at 19:38.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When you checked the Services were they showing as Started in the Status column ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni: If I stated 'few days ago' that is just an approximation because I have been
    struggling with this thing for a week or so??

ipconfig yielded 10.0.0.2 is that helpful?

Regarding Firefox, at times I would attempt one site after another and it would just give
    me a message indicating cannot connect. And other times Firefox would open at my
    start web site and then I would try to visit another site at which time it would totally
    shut down and disappear from the screen.

Sudo15: At the 'Services' screen all of the items except 'Wired Autoconfig' show as Started.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiz View Post
    Browni: If I stated 'few days ago' that is just an approximation because I have been struggling with this thing for a week or so??
    But have you tried restoring the system to a point previous to the problems you are having?

ipconfig yielded 10.0.0.2 is that helpful?
    It's interesting, what IP addresses do the other PC's on your network show?

Regarding Firefox, at times I would attempt one site after another and it would just give me a message indicating cannot connect. And other times Firefox would open at my start web site and then I would try to visit another site at which time it would totally shut down and disappear from the screen.
    I'm flumoxed by that at present.
    Last edited by Browni; 2014-02-04 at 21:36.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You need the Wired Autoconfig service to be started to get a wired connection.

As per the instructions in Post #19 click on the service and a blue Start link and the service description will appear at the top left.

Click on Start to see if Started then appears in the Status column.

If it fails to start, right clicking on it and opening its Properties/Dependences lists - Extensible Authentication Protocol, NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol and RPC and you have said that RPC is started.

If you scroll back up the services you will find the Extensible Auth. service.

Check to see if this is showing as started and follow the same procedure to start if not.

One of its Dependencies is the CNG Key Isolation which is listed just up from Extensible if you need to check if that is started.

The NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol can be found in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers and could have a yellow alert next to it.

Right clicking on that and selecting Properties will show if it's working properly or not and under the Driver tab will show its Start status by whichever button is active i.e. if the Start button is active then it is stopped and vice versa with the Stop button.

If under the General tab you get a driver error message and it cannot be started, close its windows then right click on its name in Non-Plug and Play Drivers and select Uninstall then reboot to effect.

Rebooting again will reinstate it then check for connectivity.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-05 at 05:32.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15: I Started 'Wired Autocconfig' service as per instructions.

I checked 'Extensible Auth' service and it shows as 'started'.

Further, upon checking, 'CNG Key Isolation' service shows as 'started'.

I checked 'NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol' in Device Manager and there was no yellow alert next to it.
    Further, selecting Properties it shows that it is working; and in the 'Driver tab' the 'Stop' button is
    active.

I rebooted and still no internet connection.

So far this has been quite a journey! I am ready for the next chapter. Thanks so much for your
    perseverance and patience.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SUDO15: After completing the aforementioned changes, I rebooted and thereafter went back to
    check the services only to find that 'Wired Autoconfig' service was not showing as 'started'?
    I again followed the procedure to have it show as 'started' and rebooted; unfortunately it doesn't
    remain as changed? Should the 'startup type' be changed to 'Automatic' as opposed to 'Manual'??

After the above change I again started Firefox, and this time it opened to my start page web site. I then
    went to another web site, and it also appeared. But when I attempted yet another web site I received the
    message 'can't establish a connection'????

Thanks
    Hi rpiz,
    Do you get the same problem when the other 2 computers are shut-down ????
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner: When the other (2) two computers are shut down the same situation exists.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As you are only using a wired connection then you could change this to Auto.

Also go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters.

Because of the connectivity problems you'll probably have a number of incremented Microsoft ISATAP Adapters (#2 etc.) which you can right click on and select Uninstall as you only need the original.

Either before of after you do that, right click on the Ethernet Adapter and select Properties.

Under the Power Management tab ensure that the box to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked.

If it's checked then that could be why the Wired Autoconfig keeps stopping as when the adapter is not in use, it will stop as it is set to manual and will no longer be in use.

If that isn't it then the next step would be to open Event Viewer and look for related Errors with the appropriate time stamp.

Go Start, type event viewer then press Enter.

When the logs have loaded, in top window will be listed Critical, Error, Warning, Info etc.

You shouldn't have any Critical, but click on the box next to Error then on View All Instances of This Event which is in the right pane.

Look for any related errors with an appropriate time stamp and click on it.

Details will appear in the lower pane and giving an Event ID together with a blue Event Log Online Help.

Can you let us know what those details are and the Event ID number.

Clicking on the blue Online Help link can take you (but not always) to a MS article with possible solutions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast