Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi rpiz,
    Have a look at my file, it could be the cause of your problem BUT don't alter your router. MTU.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15: Let me begin by apologizing for not indicating at the outset that I also have a Belkin router in my setup.
    I have it in place to accomodate my Kindle with access to Amazon products. It has worked without fail
    during this issue with the Windows 7 computer. Now I will attempt to answer the questions or points in your
    last post.

Regarding the Ethernet Adapter Power Management there are (3) three items listed there. 1. Energy efficient Ethernet,
    2. reduce link speed during standby, and 3. Reduce link speed during system idle.

Now with the Event Viewer: There are a number of errors listed, and I looked at the period of time from Jan. 20, 2013
    to the present, which will encompass the problematic period of intermittent internet connection on Windows 7 PC.

First error example: VSS EventID; 8194 Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVsswriter
    Callback interface. hr=0x80070005, Access is denied. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the
    writer or requestor process.

Another error example: Service Control Manager - EventID 7034 Live update service terminated. This error and the like
    EventID 7001 had to do with update issues that couldn't be performed because of the lack of internet connection.

Error example: Kernel-Event Tracing EventID: 2 Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035.

Error example: DistributedCOM EventId; 10005 DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments in
    order to run the service:

Error example: WMI EventID: 10 Event filter with query "SELECT" from_InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA
    32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage >9" could not be reactivated in namespace "//,/root/CIMV2" because of error
    0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Error example: kernel-EventTracing EventID 2 Session "SKyDriveSessionname" failed to start with the following error:0xC0000022.

The above error examples are repeated a number of times during this focus period and a number of them are related to the
    inability to connect to the internet.

With this effort to answer these questions I have at least improved on my typing skills and hopefully have stumbled upon
    a cause of my connection problem. Sudo15 thanks again for your help and perseverance in searching out a solution to this
    problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    While I wouldn't buy a Belkin router, as the other machines are working fine then it probably isn't the problem.

If you were only using one machine and that had a problem and you are using a separate modem and router, then you would wire directly to the modem to eliminate the router as the cause.

The Energy Efficient Ethernet should be enabled but don't know about the other two although I would tend to leave those disabled.

I only use a laptop with a 10/100 Ethernet adapter and the EEE setting is in the Advanced section of its Properties rather than just under the Power Management tab for me.

You could try changing your Power Plan to High Performance to see if that would make a difference to possibly the computer switching off the LAN adapter, which could be the reason why the Wired Autoconfig service is cutting out, although I was hoping to see something about it stopping in Event Viewer.

For the Homegroup Log error, I've read that unchecking the box for ipv6 in the LAN adapter Properties can sometimes resolve this.

IPv6 being checked can sometimes cause connectivity problems, but they tend to be a all or nothing type of thing and not what I would have expected from the behaviour of Firefox and that could still be a Red Herring ?

To disable ipv6 Open Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter setting then right click on the Ethernet adapter and select Properties which is where you will see the box to uncheck.

The DCOM 10005 could be a Paging File problem, but set to Auto wouldn't normally cause any problems unless you had a large number of start up programs unnecessarily taking up memory.

Some programs on installation can insert themselves into the Startup menu and these can be checked by going Start, type msconfig then press Enter.

Under the Startup tab you will see the programs that will auto start when you boot up and generally you can disable the lot without any adverse effects.

Under Services and checking the box to Hide all MS services will list some that you can do without and of those I tend to leave the computer and graphic vendor's alone and disable the various updaters.

For the 0x80041003 error, this MS article suggests that it can be ignored but provides a Fixit which should stop the continued error http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-US;2545227

And this is what I've found for the Skydrive which seems to do the job http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/s...f-2eac6cfb0d2d

When you said that prior to coming here you had tried many suggestions, did that include updating/reinstalling your Ethernet driver ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if you tried, but did you connect to a known working port on the router? May be a broken port.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15: Lets begin with your statement that you wouldn't buy a Belkin router? Can you then suggest a quality wireless router?

I re-enabled Energy Efficient Ethernet setting.

I set the Power Plan to 'High Performance' then rebooted, but at this juncture haven't noticed a change?

Tried unchecking ipv6 but that disconnected the Network as shown in the dialog where one would view its status.

I visited the web site that you have provided in regard to Skydrive issue and I made the change; afterwards I
    will determine if it has solved the problem.

Yes! I did in fact attempt to update the Ethernet driver and it gave me a message that it was already up to date.

Some additional tests that I have exercised: Tested basic network Connectivity - it passed. 2. tested Network cable-
    no cable problems detected. 3. tested Hardware: register, EEPROM, FIFO test, and Loopback test (a) - and all passed.

Looked at 'Local Area Connection Status' dialog and it shows Bytes 'sent' and 'received' and the numbers changed as I
    watched???

Of Note: upon first starting the problematic computer today 'Super AntiSpyware' program updated the definitions, yet
    when I tried Firefox - no joy??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve819: Yes I did in fact switched from port to port, experimenting with the hope that maybe it could be
    the answer; but nothing changed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a random thought, but see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454 about changing the preference from ipv6 to ipv4

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but I can't see anywhere where we have established a baseline of what the OP's network configuration is.

Is there an answer to Browni's question posted here.

If you can post the full result for an ipconfig /all command taken from all workstations when the problem occurs it will help establish a lot of detail and perhaps some obvious things can be ruled out.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lounge VIP: This should explain why that information was missed. First, the restore point that was available was in the
    middle of the period that the intermittent internet connection occurred. The computer in question was a new build,
    as I previously stated, in Jan. 2014 and only functioned for a short number of days before the issue arose.

Here Is 'ipconfig /all:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.................................. Home
    Primary Dns Suffix.........................
    IP Routing Enabled......................... Hybrid
    WINS Proxy Enabled......................... No
    DNS Suffix Search List..................... lan

ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix............. lan
    Description................................ Intel<R> Ethernet Connection I217-V
    Physical address........................... 74-D0-2B-2B-76-08
    DHCP Enabled............................... yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.................. Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address.................... fe80::fdec:60b9:9e86:730dxll<Preferred>
    IPv4 Address............................... 10.0.0.2<Preferred>
    Subnet Mask................................ 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained............................. Thursday, February 06, 2014
    Lease Expires.............................. Thursday, February 06, 2014
    Default Gateway............................ 10.0.0.138
    DHCP Server................................ 10.0.0.138
    DHCPv6 IAID................................ 242536491
    DHCPv6 Client DUID......................... 00-01-00-01-1A-25-c3-9B-74-D0-2B-2B-76-08
    DNS Servers................................ 10.0.0.138
    NetBIOS over Icpip......................... Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.lan:

Media State................................ Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix.............
    Description................................ Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address........................... 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled............................... No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.................. Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State................................ Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix.............
    Description................................ Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address........................... 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled............................... No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.................. yes

I chose to type it out because I had no other means of providing this information. Perhaps I should have asked just what
    pieces of information would have sufficed to save typing the whole thing???

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks rpiz, all the detail is necessary rather than a subset.

A couple of questions:

Are the DHCP lease times as typed?...is there a time as well as a date?...the expiry on the dhcp is the same day as the grant of IP address and that seems a bit short and I wonder if there's a problem with IP address allocation.

I think you are saying that the output as typed is what you get when the affected machine can't reach the internet? Can you confirm that is the case, or is it at a time when you do have internet access.

Can you also provide verbatim output from the other machines when the problematic machine does not have internet access?

Perhaps you have already explained earlier, but I can't see any detail of your router setup? The IP addresses of the client PC, gateway and dhcp server are ok given the subnet mask, but they are a little unusual for a home network.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tinto Tech: The DHCP expiration dates are as appeared when I entered 'ipconfig /all' , and the times were 3:31:21 PM start and 5:31:21 PM
    ending.

Yes output is when the affected machine could not connect to the internet.

I have no idea how to gain access to router setup information?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Have seen that many times...

@rpiz:
    For time reasons I could not read the whole thread, please accept my apology if I repeat.

I have seen similar behavior many times. One time it was the NIC on the motherboard that had gotten flaky after a close by lightning strike.

All other cases (whether wireless or wired connection) it was that darned new kind of malware that we call PuP.

And the tools that always fixed it are:

Hope this helps.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's just that I've come across a number of threads where people have had problems with Belkin routers but as yours seems to be working fine, then stay with it.

There are two ways to copy & paste the output of an ipconfig /all so that you don't have to type it out and the easiest one is with the command ipconfig /all > 0 & notepad 0 which auto pastes it into a Notepad doc which you can then copy and paste into the reply box.

The other is to right click in the command window, click on Select all then press Enter and then open Notepad and paste into there.

You could paste that directly into the reply window without pasting it into Notepad, but it is easier to read from the Notepad.

Can you post ipconfig /all from the other machines for comparison, marking which is which.

The ipv4 address of 10.0.0.2 is used by some routers, although I would have expected the Default Gateway to be 10.0.0.1 but Speedtouch use 10.0.0.138 as theirs.

In the Firefox troubleshooting article did you follow the steps to disable ipv6 in FF ?

It may be worth using the Fixit to set ipv4 over ipv6 should your ISP not support ipv6 even though your router does, but go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters and check to see if you have a 6to4 adapter listed.

Windows never has up to date drivers and in the case of self build it's always best to go to the manufacturer's site.

CDs supplied with devices don't always contain up to date drivers and once installed it's usually best to check for updates.

You can usually use Intel's auto detect but you will need to download it to another machine and then copy across.

You use the Default Gateway as an URL to gain access to the router and Belkin ship their routers without administrators passwords, unless they changed that but the user manual for your model should give instructions for that.

Edit

Going by http://www.belkin.com/PYRAMID/Advanc...lan_main_0.stm you should have a 192.168.2.1 Default Gateway and your ipv4 address should be similar.

If you have a separate modem and router set up, just wondering if the 10.0.0.138 is from the modem ?

If you can't log into the router with 10.0.0.138 then try the 192. address.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-06 at 18:31.

Thanks
    Or you could send it directly to a file which could be attached to a post:

> ipconfig /all > d:/path/filename.ext

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiz View Post
    Sudo15: Let me begin by apologizing for not indicating at the outset that I also have a Belkin router in my setup.
    Two routers in the same network? Do you have DHCP enabled on both?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast