Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Cloud backup and storage suggestions?

I've been using SugarSync for some time and like it very much particularly because it enables one to choose which folders and files are backed up. However, the free service is stopping very shortly so I have been looking round for alternatives. Spider Oak is ok but only provides 2GB free.

I wondered if anyone could recommend any good alternatives?

Another thought was whether anyone knows of any good little utility programmes/apps which work with Google Drive and/or SkyDrive etc to enable one to backup chosen files rather than have to move everything to one folder.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Victor, I use Skydrive on both my computers. Both have the Skydrive app installed with the folder located on D: drive x 2.
    -
    If the Default setting is used, you will lose your files if doing a 'System Restore' or a 'Recovery' with Acronis for example, if a mini or major disaster occurs, without having copies. (All my files are also stored on external USB hard drives).
    Skydrive gives you 7gb free, all you need is a Microsoft account.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but those don't allow you to select existing files and folders for backup, do they?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Carbonite but it is not free. In some ways you get what you pay for. Many other free services have a limit on how much they will store for you and you will have to pay extra for additional storage. This is the typical business model. You can use a variety of documents save services such as Google docs, sky Drive, or zoho.com if all you want to do is store documents. If you are talking about family video photos or that type of thing, because of the size of those files you're probably going to have to find a paid service.

Carbonite does allow you to save entire folders.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Delta View Post
    Thanks, but those don't allow you to select existing files and folders for backup, do they?
    Skydrive does, just put them into the SD folder.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Skydrive does, just put them into the SD folder.
    Thanks, but I'm sorry if I didn't make it totally clear, what I want to do is find a system that allows one to select particular files and folders where they currently are within one's overall (logical) filing structure. I don't want to have to move those files to one big SD etc folder. That's what I really like about SugarSync (and, to a lesser degree, Spider Oak)!

PS MQG1023 - Flickr now provides 1TB of free storage for photos!

Thanks
    OK, good luck in your endeavour.

Thanks
    I used mklink to create symbolic links to do this.

e.g.
    mklink /J C:\Users\user\Dropbox\public\test "C:\Users\user\Pictures\directorywithsubdirectorys "

Just change dropbox to skydrive (or whatever) and user to appropriate name. Also the pictures directory to whatever is appropriate. That way you can choose which folders to put in the cloud without having them in the skydrive/dropbox etc. fo9lders or duplicating them.

Not ideal, but it works.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I used mklink to create symbolic links to do this.

e.g.
    mklink /J C:\Users\user\Dropbox\public\test "C:\Users\user\Pictures\directorywithsubdirectorys "

Just change dropbox to skydrive (or whatever) and user to appropriate name. Also the pictures directory to whatever is appropriate. That way you can choose which folders to put in the cloud without having them in the skydrive/dropbox etc. fo9lders or duplicating them.

Not ideal, but it works.
    That's an interesting idea, and a new one on me. Where do you actually put/write the mklink lines of code?

Thanks
    Doesn't matter where, just as long as you know where they are in a text file. I have a number with different options in a text file and just adapt and copy to a CMD window and run there. If you use full directory spec (as in my example) then you can run the command anywhere.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Victor Delta (2014-02-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you completely opposed to paying for offsite backup?
    George

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If adequate free backup services exist - which they do - why pay an ongoing monthly fee if it's unnecessary?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Delta View Post
    If adequate free backup services exist - which they do - why pay an ongoing monthly fee if it's unnecessary?
    If you can get enough volume (GB's) for free. I have about 71 GB backed up online. less than $10.00/month.
    George

Lounger
    Thanks
    Reliable and dependable backup of my data is more important than this computer and other hardware. I'd rather pay, then go for something free which may just ditch me some day. So I use backblaze. Small cost, but unlimited storage.

On another point, Skydrive (i have 2x25gb), Google Drive, Dropbox (22gb), Box (50gb), are all in Windows Explorer, so naturally in C drive. But they take up that much space on C dive too. If I move them to 'D' drive (storage drive) they won't sync automatically, but will take up space on 'D' drive anyway.
    Is there a way to use all of them in Windows Explorer without giving up space from C or D drives?

Thanks for reading this.
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast