Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try: SurDoc.com 100 Gig for free. Uploading for the first time can take some time. You can upload whatever file or folder you want.
    If you cahnge a file or folder, then the new one will be automatically saved in your SurDoc cloud.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Reliable and dependable backup of my data is more important than this computer and other hardware. I'd rather pay, then go for something free which may just ditch me some day. So I use backblaze. Small cost, but unlimited storage.

On another point, Skydrive (i have 2x25gb), Google Drive, Dropbox (22gb), Box (50gb), are all in Windows Explorer, so naturally in C drive. But they take up that much space on C dive too. If I move them to 'D' drive (storage drive) they won't sync automatically, but will take up space on 'D' drive anyway.
    Is there a way to use all of them in Windows Explorer without giving up space from C or D drives?

Thanks for reading this.
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roop View Post
    Reliable and dependable backup of my data is more important than this computer and other hardware. I'd rather pay, then go for something free which may just ditch me some day. So I use backblaze. Small cost, but unlimited storage.

On another point, Skydrive (i have 2x25gb), Google Drive, Dropbox (22gb), Box (50gb), are all in Windows Explorer, so naturally in C drive. But they take up that much space on C dive too. If I move them to 'D' drive (storage drive) they won't sync automatically, but will take up space on 'D' drive anyway.
    Is there a way to use all of them in Windows Explorer without giving up space from C or D drives?

Thanks for reading this.
    With the latest SkyDrive you should be able to get links instead of the actual file. You only get the file if you specify offline access. That way you get to choose the files you need in SkyDrive & locally.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just set up someone using Duplicati freeware to control, schedule, and encrypt their backups to SkyDrive and it is working pretty well so far. Here is a good video (by Britec) showing how to set it up. During the initial configuration process, you select the "Custom" option in order to choose individual files/folders.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I didn't understand the meaning of 'latest'. I use W7 Ultimate 64bit. Skydrive is installed in my programs to use in Windows Explorer. But it is actually online. Is there a way to update it to 'latest' ?
    Alternatively, can it be safely uninstalled from the computer without damage?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    With the latest SkyDrive you should be able to get links instead of the actual file. You only get the file if you specify offline access. That way you get to choose the files you need in SkyDrive & locally.

Joe
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]

Thanks
    There is also Tresorit (5Gb free) - https://tresorit.com/ which allows syncing of any folder and like SpiderOak your files are encrypted locally.
    They are Hungarian I believe and have their servers in Switzerland.

Also check out Copy.com (by Barracuda) - https://www.copy.com/home/ they give a generous 15Gb, with 5Gb per referrals.
    Any folder can be synced by simply using a standard short cut in the Copy folder.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd reached a point where I had too much data to store on any give free service and I didn't want to try and split data over various services. I elected to go with iDrive for a couple of reasons.
    It's very reasonably priced.
    It integrates with all flavors of OS so I can manage Mac, Windows, and Droid systems.
    They offer a 'disk swap' service. If you have a ton of data to move in either direction, you have the option of passing a physical drive between yourself and iDrive. It's not cheap but can make the process of moving a 500 GB data pretty painless.
    It is NOT a backup solution, it is a file storage system. The distinction can be very important. Most cloud backup systems (backblaze for example) keep backup copies of files on the PC(s) you are backing up. If you delete a file on your PC, within some period of time, the copy on the cloud service is also deleted. iDrive just don't care. Once you push a file to iDrive, it's there until YOU decide to kill it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfinner View Post
    I'd reached a point where I had too much data to store on any give free service and I didn't want to try and split data over various services. I elected to go with iDrive for a couple of reasons.
    It's very reasonably priced.
    It integrates with all flavors of OS so I can manage Mac, Windows, and Droid systems.
    They offer a 'disk swap' service. If you have a ton of data to move in either direction, you have the option of passing a physical drive between yourself and iDrive. It's not cheap but can make the process of moving a 500 GB data pretty painless.
    It is NOT a backup solution, it is a file storage system. The distinction can be very important. Most cloud backup systems (backblaze for example) keep backup copies of files on the PC(s) you are backing up. If you delete a file on your PC, within some period of time, the copy on the cloud service is also deleted. iDrive just don't care. Once you push a file to iDrive, it's there until YOU decide to kill it.
    That sounds like a great product. It's certainly less expensive that what I'm using.
    George

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12