Thread: System Restore

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore

When I open system restore, which is on for Win 7 and Win 8.1, there are references to "Local Disk-Win 7 (C:) Missing" and "Local Disk Win 8 (K:) Missing".

How can I delete these entries?

Apart from that, should I create restore points for both operating systems, whichever I have booted to, or just in Win 7?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-02-02 at 07:51. Reason: Addes Noparse tags.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While the following article relates to Vista, quite often steps will work in Win 7 and the 4th one down dealing with Error 0x8007007B may resolve your Missing C: error.

There could also be some related Errors in Event Viewer which may give further details.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, thanks. The link you gave doesn't work, but I got to it with a Google search. Having said that the procedure referred to is very long winded and complicated, and I don't want to risk messing up either of my operating systems again.

Do you, or does anyone else, have any other ideas?

Apart from that, as mentioned in post #1, should I create restore points for both operating systems, whichever I have booted to, or just in Win 7?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, I beleive Sudo is refering to this item which is not complicated:
    Error: 0x8007007B - "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    System Restore will now close"
    Press the WinKey on the keyboard and type or paste SystemPropertiesProtection then press enter.
    Deselect the "C: Missing" checkbox and select "Local Disk C:" to enable System Restore.

Cause: This error is caused by faulty imaging by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that results in the presence of an invalid volume.
    Also, you should enable System Restore for both operating systems - Win 7 and Win 8.1.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-02-02)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks. There weren't any checkboxes, and I didn't get any error messages, but I simply turned off System Restore for the missing entries for Win 7 and Win 8.1, and then created restore points for both "valid" entries. I did this while booted in Win 7 and Win 8.1.

Regards,
    Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2014-02-02 at 16:32.

Roy Whitethread