Lounger
    Thanks

What steps to transfer Thunderbird to new PC?

The title says it all really - I'd like to use TB as my email client on a new PC. Email is pretty crucial to me so I'd really appreciate advice on the steps I need to take. (I've been using TB for years on my old PC.)

Mike

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Use Mozbackup http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ to create a backup file. Then copy that file to a usb drive. Plug it in on the new machine and restore the file after installing Thunderbird.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice - Mozbackup worked fine in as much as I've got the large (1.2 GB) .csv file sitting in a temp folder on the local disk. However, a problem then occurred:

I installed TB 'bare', clicked on 'Tools|Import', started the import wizard + the first screen that appeared offered me the choice to import everything which I chose. The 2nd screen is entitled 'Import Settings and Mail Folders + states 'Import Options, Account Settings, Address Book, Filters and Other Data from:' ... then NOTHING; the rest of the dialog box seems greyed out and it won't go the 'next' screen even though it's not greyed out. (Huh - seems like there should be a filename box or something?)

This version of TB - v24.2.0 - looks like it's designed for a Win 8 PC (which is my new PC). Any thoughts as to what I do next?

Mike

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Close Tbird, run Mozbackup and select the restore option.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly. Use Mozbackup to restore not TB.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Great guys - thanks ever so much - it's working well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Mozbackup for both Tbird and Fox..Another program I recommend is mbox2xml..This program saves all your Tbird emails in an excellent html format which you can view in any browser..This then allows you to clean up your inbox, etc, and saves a lot of disk space. I have all my emails as far back as 2002 stored on a dvd