Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Windows Backup and Restore

I have been using Windows Backup and Restore in Windows 7 for years. I create an image of C: each night and also do a file backup of D: each night. This process is automated and has worked flawlessly for me. I do not want to change to another backup system. Yesterday, when I checked my backup, I saw an error message:

Check your backup/ Invalid window handle, / Error Code: 0x80070578

Upon analysis, I found that the Image backup worked just fine. The File backup stopped exactly at 25% complete.

I tried changing the backup destination to a different external drive. I tried running the backup as a different user. I tried significantly reducing the umber of files to be backed up. I tried using msconfig.exe to boot into Diagnostic Startup. I ran sfc/scannow. None of these helped.

I also did a somewhat extensive search of Google. I found a number of queries about the same problem but no real answers. The Microsoft help responses didn't even seem to recognize the problem and provided canned answers to "similar" problems.

I realize that I have numerous alternatives and have already temporarily implemented EASUS TODO for file backup. What I am looking for is an explanation of this cryptic error message and some indication leading to a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Thanks
    Run the Windows 7 system file check command: sfc /scannow.
    For better result, do it in safemode.

You might also get more specific error related information from the event viewer.

I use to be a fan of the native Windows 7 back up and restore feature too, but I had realized long ago that it's too limited and error prone.
    Reconsider a 3rd party application. (TOO INTERCONNECTED TO THE OS)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my original post, I have tried sfc/scannow as well as a number of other procedures. Microsoft Backup and Restore has met my needs and saved my bacon a number of times since I started using Windows 7 in 2010
    I really would like to find the root cause and possible fix for this error.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Unfortunately, a search even through Microsoft's support forums shows there really are no effective answers that will fix this, at least I was unable to find them. There are a few threads, almost with scripted replies and the issue just dies without an answer. Thus the advice here suggesting a 3rd party app.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Your looking at a clean install or repair type of reinstall.
    This is the kind of thing one can expect when a program is tied up very closely
    with the operating system and it's many other processes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.