Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Website wants to run the following add-on

I KNOW NEXT TO ZERO ABOUT COMPUTERS. That being said, lately when I am on fb, there is a message on the top that says - This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Not available' from control name is not available'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here... So, what the heck is that? What should I do? This question is the reason I registered on window secrets. But, I believe I am teachable and plan to check out stuff and see if I can learn! Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Frannie,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

Could you please provide a little more information.
    1. What version of Windows are you using?
    2. What Browser are you using IE, FireFox, Chrome?
    3. Are you using any browser extensions, e.g. NoScript, FlashBlock, etc.?
    4. When you get the message what is the last item in Facebook you clicked on?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Man, I'm so lame. No excuses. 1. XP 2. FlashPeak SlimBrowser 3. Not that I know of so.....probably not 4. Message is USUALLY there when I first open and stays the whole time I am using fb. Sometimes, like right now, the message is not there. What do you think. Many thanks.

Thanks
    Frannie,

Sorry, I've never heard of FlashPeak SlimBrowser! Do you have another, more main stream browser (IE, FireFox, Chrome) installed? If so do you get the same message when using one of them? Maybe someone else here has experience with your preferred browser.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP is at&t. The tech who installed said flashpeak slimbrowser is very secure so he put it on and I have kept it. I think it is good, but I have already revealed I don't know diddley about computers so......You should check out flashpeak and/or direct me further! Again, that message about website wanting to run add-on......seems to come and go. I would assume that the website asking for permisson would be fb itself, yes? You never heard of this sitch? hmmmmm Maybe I just continue to ignore the message and take care not to accidentially click on?!?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    frannie, open Internet Explorer as well as FP when you get the message in FB go to the same site in Internet Explorer.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it a Java add-on ?

PC Pro doesn't think much of that browser, but if it's a little used one then it stands less chance of being targeted http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/softw...ak-slimbrowser
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-08 at 11:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, sudo 15. I do not believe I have Java and I really do not understand what an add-on is. Is it something I would have knowingly installed or is it something that occurs (i.e., gets added-on) when I do "something " on the internet like search or open sites? My flashpeak slimbrowser is indeed I believe by all standards, little used. And I tell ya what, I don't understand how/why "hackers" target and somehow access peoples pc's. Look in them for banking acct info? Credit card numbers? Or do they just access as vandals? Anyway.

I see the message: "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Not available' from control name is not available'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here" - only intermittently. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it ain't. I had just been ignoring it, but then I thought, hmmmm, maybe it is something I "need". Two loungers seem to think I should be accessing the internet via Explorer or Chrome. I am currently married to the idea that those two are MORE "junkie" and that my flashpeak is more streamlined/less junkie. Whada ya think? Can/should I just keep ignoring the message? many thanks for bearing with a knownothing. fm

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Frannie, I'm not sure what the "Not available..." bit is all about but could you post the URL for one of the sites that gives this prompt and then we can have a look at it.

Add-ons, Plug-ins/Extensions such as Adobe Reader, Flashplayer and Shockwave ActiveX Control (IE) and in some cases, Java are required to view content or for a website's platform to function and these are added to the browser with the installation of such essential programs and are usually default in IE on prebuilt OEM machines.

I don't know what the Flashpeak browser emulates of the main browsers, so don't know which add-ons other than the examples I've given that this browser would use, although it would seem to have some attributes already built in if it doesn't require Plug-ins http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/

Perhaps seeing if the websites are fully functional after you activate the Popup Blocker is something that you could try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Sudo15! I have ONLY experienced the statment re: "This website wants to run add-on" at the top of my page when I'm on facebook. I first saw it 6-8 weeks ago, it comes and goes, I always ignore. So, when you say I could "post the URL for one of the sites that gives this prompt" I only see it on fb. Is there some way I "post fb's URL" that I'm not understanding from you?

I don't play any games; I'm thinking Shockwave Active X is for gamers. I view utube once in a while, but don't/haven't tried to watch movies; I'm thinking Java is for watching movies (???). I do have Adobe Reader installed. Popup Blocker is enabled.

Thank you for speaking with me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frannie View Post
    Two loungers seem to think I should be accessing the internet via Explorer or Chrome.
    Two loungers have suggested that you TRY accessing FaceBook with IE to discover whether the add-on request is peculiar to your peculiar browser. It would only take a minute.

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose the only way you could do that would be to post a link to your FB page, which is understandable if you didn't wish to do so.

I was previously under the impression that you were clicking on a link within FB which would have put a new URL into the URL box, which you could then have right clicked on and selected Copy to paste into the reply box.

Flashpeak has quite a list of options http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/webhelp/menu.htm and under the View Menu/Toolbars, was wondering if the option to Rebuild All Bars would have any effect just as under Tools Menu/Internet Explorer Add-ons could be what the site is looking for.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Bruce. I have been using IE instead of FP for an hour. Initially, no "request to run add-on msg" while on facebook. Since the message in has been appearing intermittently over the last several weeks, I guess I will have to use IE for a day or two and see if it appears with this alternate browser.

Thank you. Frannie

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. I will try IE for a day or two and see if the message shows up. Thank you for trying to help me. Frannie

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Under Tools Menu/Download Control in the FP options, it seems that most of what you may need of add-ons are already enabled in FP, so not really sure what the site is still looking for.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

frannie (2014-02-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast