Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

2.6 Million "Ghost" files ?

When I run either MSE or Malwarebytes, the system runs for 8-10 hours.
    and the files count is 2.7 million files.

TreeSize free reported only 131,000 files. Most of these are windows files and not MyDocument files. I made a rough count and agree with TreeSize's count.

What am I missing? Are there hidden un-erased files that are being counted? If so, how can I erase them so they are not tying up MSE or Malwarebytes?

Paul
    Last edited by PointFive; 2014-02-05 at 14:24. Reason: shorten the request.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Have you tried running Treesize Free "as Administrator", to see if you observe any differences?
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the answer is "Yes", since I log in as the administrator.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also brought up MyComputer and used "Properties" to get the number of files and they match
    the TreeSize. I have the option set for "Show Hidden Files".

Thanks
    PointFive,

Both of the AV programs count registry entries since they scan them.
    Notice it reports "objects scanned" not Files!
    mbobjects.JPG
    HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-02-05 at 15:42.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-05)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Still, a very impressive number of objects, I almost got to 1 million one time (997,000) and thought that was a lot. You can go into MWB settings>scanner settings and just scan one group of objects at a time and find out which is responsible for most of the high count.

p.s. Also note there is a tic for scanning inside archives which would produce a strong variance between file count and object count if they exist in great numbers.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-02-05 at 16:47.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    In addition to what RG said, I believe Malware Bytes will scan files with archive files like Zip files.

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PointFive View Post
    I think the answer is "Yes", since I log in as the administrator.
    Not necessarily the case! Right-click on the TreesizeFree.exe program and choose "Run as Administrator" from near the top of the menu.

Retired Geek's comment about the counting of registry entries by Malwarebytes is correct, except that I find the number involved is only about 200K-300K, not the millions of which you speak.
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Registry:
    I exported the registry to the Desktop and then opened it in Notebook. File size is 115 MB. Does that about right? The line count of the Registry file in Notebook file was
    ..........................1,093,182. I checked and notebook is counting blank lines, too. Maybe line count does not equate to objects.

When I ran Malwarebytes without scanning the registry, the object count is 300,000 objects fewer. Then
    I ran Malwarebytes without registry, memory items and without setup and it was 298,080 fewer.

That leaves a couple of million objects unaccounted for.

Paul
    Additional information: This Compaq Notebook is not networked, although it was at one time connected to another location so that I could work at home. It was purchased "new" by me. There are no other PCs on the FIOS router and WiFi has turned "off" since installation. I use MSE and System Mechanic full time, have MS auto updates turned "on", am the only user of this PC. For years I ran Norton Utilities, McAfee and have used AVG, Avast, Avanquest, MS "fixit", MS antimalware and several others as recommended by WindowsSecrets (to which I have been a paying member for years). I purchased Malwarebytes PRO, but running it full-time conflicted (MWB tech staff could not find a solution) with MSE (causing a huge slowdown) so I just run it every two weeks. Memory is maxed on this PC and the hard disk is at 36%, most of which appears to be dedicated to WINDOWS, since my data files and non-Win programs account for about 10 MB.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to run TreeSize by rt-clicking on the exe file and I had only two choices, ME and "blank". I have never set up this PC with an Administrator and there has never been a password. But I tried the "blank" option with no password and it failed. I reverted back to ME and the following error occurred: Access denied to C:\Windows\Temp\SDiag_3e6d39a4-fb7d-4049-ac85-dt. This had not happened before running TreeSize.
    Also, the file size in bytes previously reported aka "yesterday" by TreeSize matched that of Explorer. Seems like I've uncovered a can of worms in the Tree. Oh, and BTW, TreeSize has now crashed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried right click>properties on several folders at a time just under the primary folders with hidden and system folders revealed? Say 5 Program files sub-folders at a time, three or four Windows sub-folders at time and two or three user documents sub-folders at a time, (local settings folder all by itself--mine has over 165,000 files in there alone). I'm guessing these might some kind of reporting/log files that are produced constantly from a program that runs all the time, so at some point you might run across a small subset of folders with an abnormally high file count and be able to zoom in from there.

Also run disk cleanup on the drive if you haven't even though that's something System Mechanic probably runs as part of its routine...but also might be producing a ton of log files possibly.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-02-06 at 08:22.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

16. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-06)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    When you right click on TreeSize.exe you should something like get this screen.

Properties.png

You should select the second option.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I right clicked and my choice was "Run as.....", and this is the window:

Attachment 37678

The second selection gives me the choice of Mobile1 pfallert (that's me) and the second is blank,
    I think since I have never set this single pc up with an administrator, that I am the administrator.
    Never had a problem before installing any programs etc. But, I have a lot to learn.
    Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N.
    Yes, I have done as you've said and the number of files matches TreeSize's count.
    System Mechanic is set to auto clean-up, but I also ran disk cleanup and CCcleaner, just to see if I could reduce the count. Not by much.

I have a program called "Everything" which can list, quickly, any target file names such as *.log and it gets into hidden files, but not the registry. I deleted all of the log files that were repetitious, but I did that before I got really serious about finding the millions of "objects" that are filling up my PC.
    Paul
    Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, you're on XP, so the Run as administrator doesn't exist. You are most likely the administrator so TreeSize should have permission to see all files.

cheers, Paul

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-06)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast