Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher. I only run the Full scan once a week overnight, as you are suggesting. I run a Quick scan daily.
    Thanks for the suggestion, because I might not have thought of it.
    Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mystery Solved (I think):
    I ran MSE last night. 8 hours. 2.7 million "items". While it was running, I occasionally watched it on the screen go through the folders and noticed that it got stuck when it stepped through C:Window\Installer files with "msi" and "msp" extensions. I took some notes with rough item counts at the beginning and end of each (the screen moves quickly). Some of the msp files counted 34K items/file. After MSE completed, I went to the installer file folder and right clicked on some sample files I had previously noted and ran MSE on them as a "Quick Scan" and the item counts matched my notes. I then randomly went through a sample of msi and msp files and found an average of 5K items per .msp file. Using TreeSize, there are 400 discrete files in C:Window\Installer folder, so this calcs out to be 2.1 million MSE items. When I did the same on the $NTuninstallerKBxxxx$ files and Service Pack Files, the relationship between files and items was 1-to-1 as it was on most of the other files that I checked. My previous count on files was around 500K discrete files, which give or take, explains where the 2.7 million item count is coming from.

Now that I know the problem, what to do about the excess run time of MSE / MWB? I contacted MWB and they provided support to get V1.75 MWB-PRO which has the archive capability. I ran MSE from SafeMode and no other program was running, so MSE was not being interrupted, so the actual MSE run time corresponds proportionally to the number of items (a fact that I actually observed). To cut the run time and reduce the wear/tear on the system will require reducing the item count of msi and msp files.

Summary: The "Ghost" item count "problem" is being caused by the huge number of items within the .msi and .msp installer files.

From research re: C:\Windows\Installer file deletion, using msizap.exe, has potential for system problems. Further, is there a way to reduce the .msp files? What if I have a backup of these files? Are these not just "files"? If I need to re-install a program, would I not just need to restore the missing file?

Paul

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You could just exclude that directory from your scans and only scan it when you are bored.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I always clear my browser's caches before I do a Malwarebytes scan as it seems to take forever scanning all the thousands of tiny little 1k files that seem to build up so quickly.

(I don't use System Mechanic so I don't know if it clears caches automatically. Ignore this if it does... )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-28)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123