New Lounger
    Thanks

Delete all Section Breaks in Word 2013

I have a document that has a section break at the end of every page. Is there a way to delete all of them at once? As it is I need to go through the entire document and manually delete each one.

(I want to remove them so my document page numbers are correct when printed at the bottom of the page)

Thanks!
    Emery

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can do a search and replace to get rid of all the section breaks.

Open the replace dialog by pressing Ctrl-H
    Click on the More>> button (unless it already shows as <<Less)
    Click on the Special button and choose Section Break

You can see that you could have typed ^b into the Find What field to find a section break.

FWIW: I normally replace section breaks with a paragraph mark because sometimes the document has no end of paragraph marker in front of a section break and I don't want to merge two paragraphs as a result of the removal of the section breaks.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - so I tried that and run into another problem. For some reason choosing "replace all" doesn't find anything and get the job done. (It found the very first instance but none of the rest. Here is a little more detail on the document: I have a large mailmerge (it is actually name tags for a hosted event) I always merge to a new document before printing so I can look at them and make some last minute edits. This new document (today's was 101 pages) has a section break at the bottom of each page. It says "Section Break, next page" ... So my only option so far has been to go through the document and delete them. Any more ideas?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Thanks - so I tried that and run into another problem. For some reason choosing "replace all" doesn't find anything and get the job done. (It found the very first instance but none of the rest. Here is a little more detail on the document: I have a large mailmerge (it is actually name tags for a hosted event) I always merge to a new document before printing so I can look at them and make some last minute edits. This new document (today's was 101 pages) has a section break at the bottom of each page. It says "Section Break, next page" ... So my only option so far has been to go through the document and delete them. Any more ideas?
    Are you sure you use Find = ^b with Replace = <nothing> and that you did indeed choose 'Replace All'? In my testing, it deletes every Section break.

On its own, deleting the Section breaks achieves essentially the same output as you'd get from a Directory/Catalog merge and could result in letters starting on the same pages as those on which previous letters end. To prevent that, you need to replace the Section breaks with manual page breaks (Replace = ^m). Alternatively, and assuming your letters all span only one page, you could obviate the whole issue by using a SECTION field for the page numbering instead of a PAGE field.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]