New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 Windows logon - Lost local logon

Win 8.0 pro upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro without using Windows Logon
    This PC is part of a Win 2008 Server Domain so the local user is a Domain account.
    Never run in tiled interface unless I really have to (i.e. almost never).

Needed an app from the store so was conned into a windows logon (used the one I have had for years for TechNet etc)

After this completed and the app downloaded and installed I found the local domain account was now just like a first time logon to a brand new install;
    Just a few basic icons,
    No access to any files/folders/shortcuts in local PC these are only available through the windows logon,
    Normal access to network resources with Windows logon.

Now it is too late to roll back and I need to know how to revert to a local logon and get back the environment the windows logon stole!

I have looked at all the help and options on the web and it seems that a new account has to be created (which I don't want) but this will be the same as the old one that is no use.
    It also seems that maybe I should still have local logon access to all the previous local environment - this is not clear from anything I have read.

I am really not interested in a windows logon as I don't use any of its features and I don't like that it maintains a link to the Microsoft servers all the time even though I use nothing on them. Yes - explorer.exe not IE - actually maintains a TCP connection to Microsoft's servers - WTF???

Any constructive suggestions greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

Have you tried contacting Microsoft's support? I would probably suggest that you do. Most of our users do not use Windows 8 in an environment such as yours, so it's possible there is not much experience with similar situations.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "You can disconnect your Microsoft account from your domain account whenever you want. In PC settings, go to Users, tap or click Disconnect, and then tap or click Finish."
    Connect your Microsoft account to your domain account

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR,
    The problem is that when I put in the username for my local account (and the password twice, and the password hint) I get a message;
    Windows is already using that name. Please enter a new name.
    If I put in a new name then I just get another empty new account.

There is not enough space to enter a domain/user type user name and it won't accept the usual bunch of illegal characters anyway.

Any other suggestions?

I have not been prepared to close the microsoft account as,
    1. I use it for other purposes (TechNet in its new guise)
    2. It says it will delete everything but I have not yet determined if that only means the online stuff or anything on my local pc as well.
    Last edited by Jones; 2014-02-06 at 23:49.