Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bios

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, call me gutsy. I was really put out with this machine and was ready to dump it so I tried a very unusual procedure. I reset both CMOS jumpers, I removed the small 2032 cell and then I started the machine. Amazing, with no small battery in there, I was able to see the BIOS and it was then what I needed to see. How it started without the small cell is definitely beyond me. The last tab, Exit, showed normal line presentations, I then got back a few tabs, changed some, got back to Exit and was able to Save Changes and boot. I am still on that M58, Lenovo, and typing at you so it is back to normal. I have no clew as to why this cured the problem. Thanks for the push, playing with the jumpers again and also the small battery as you suggested did the dirty work for me. Now, next time, I will look and see if I am still the master of this machine. This was no regular process but what the Heck ! Jean.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you had some success.

jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2014-02-07)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Some success ? Jerry, total success and thanks to you. I even now got rid of the Lenovo selfie, the machine boots to W-7 without any hindrance at all. Blank screen and then the Windows 7 flag.
    1 for me, 0 for Lenovo. Have a great evening. Fear not, Spring is coming. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as there's power to the system Jean, it'll start, the little battery is just there to hold the BIOS settings when power is absent. I was going to suggest the same course of action but if it didn't work, oh boy, being locked into the default settings might have really made for a malfunctioning computer.

Spring is coming? Are you sure? We have three barn cats that all froze one or both of their ears off so far and I found one dead in a sitting position like it was stuffed except the head was down a little bit too far for a respectable taxidermist! Too late the Spring for that poor critter! I don't think there were 3 days in January where it was above -12 C for a high temperature and it didn't even break stride for February so far; -34 C overnight this coming Sunday. Can't afford to look forward....must survive now!!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, cold as it might be, FUN.

>>> As long as there's power to the system, it'll start. <<<

This is what took place here. I was surprised to be able to "save" this Lenovo. As to your fear of: if it didn't work, oh boy !, I had the BIOS on a CD, both the .iso and the .exe. I would have liked to see the machine dead just to see if booting from the CD, I could reflash the BIOS again.
    This is a strange machine still, no LPT 1 port. A few years ago, I got a USB to Centronics cable and now have it connected to an old HP LaserJet 6L, success there too. I am using 1 of the 7 USB 2.0 ports. Today, I will try to use the built-in 10/100 and see if with the BIOS cured, it will behave normally. It was always trying to seek and connect to a non-existent network as it was programmed to do.

Have a great day and keep the fireplace roaring. Jean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12