New Lounger
    Thanks

Need USB and Ethernet simultaneously on external drive

I think a little back story is appropriate so everyone can see what I'm trying to accomplish. I currently have an external hd hooked up via usb to my tv set. This allows me to play video files in several formats the tv's dlna interface cannot handle. Currently I have to disconnect the hd, take it to the other side of the house and hook it up to my pc and load it with files and then take it back to the tv and hook it back up. I have an ethernet connection close to the tv so if I could find a hd or device that once plugged into my home network would allow me to transfer files for storage and also leave the usb connected to the tv for playback purposes. I am not trying to stream content but would like to load new files on the device via ethernet for later playback. Also I don't need to load files at the same time I'm utilizing the playback function. What do you think folks, is this possible?
    Thanks, Charlie

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some external network drives that also have a little toggle which switches them to USB mode for direct hookup. I have a few but they are older so may not be so readily available now. However you would still have to manually switch back and forth for the appropriate hookup and I have never tried leaving both plugged in at the same time, I used it either as a network drive or as a PC external drive only. One mode might have a priority over the other if its a firmware switch and not hardwired.

A better solution seems to be to get a network media player compatible with all the formats you want to play either with local storage or just USB ports to connect a USB drive there instead so you can still load up a drive ahead of time or just stream the content over the network from the original location. Check out all the video and audio and photo formats a WD Live media player is compatible with if interested.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking at a couple of external drives that have both a usb and ethernet interface but some of those are a little pricy and I don't know if one could simply hook up the ethernet and load up the drive and then perhaps disconnect the ethernet and hook up the usb cable to the tv to play the media files. The WD live will play the formats I'm looking for but I've had such terrible results with trying to stream HD over both wireless n and over ethernet I've just about given up on streaming.

Thanks
    I suggest you install Plex Server and stream the media via DLNA to your tv
    Plex Server is free, beautiful and will convert to a format the tv supports on the fly
    https://plex.tv/features
    World class DLNA support built right in
    Plex makes your media beautiful on thousands of DLNA certified devices like the PS3, Xbox 360, and WDTV Live devices without the need to install dedicated apps. Harness the power of the most sophisticated DLNA server available to effortlessly stream nearly any format to your device, right out of the box.
    NOBLEJOKER
    Sth Coast NSW Australia
    My Tech Help Site www.techhelpsite.com
    My Computer Club www.mulligrubs.miltonulladulla.com

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Splash, you should mention that plex requires you create an account before you can use it and the so called free apps require a subscription.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did try the plex server and several others with a lot of stuttering in the videos, However I'm now trying Serviio with some encouraging early success. They have a free and paid version but I don't see anything in the paid version that I'll need. There is also another one called Mezzmo (no free version apparently) that's next on my list if serviio doesn't cut it. It really doesn't look like my idea of a combination ethernet/usb drive is going to work out. I really think my problem with streaming my local media is the lack of a powerful computer pushing it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried Media Monkey? The streaming is not that easy to set up but it should work. (Not sure if the free version streams.)

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Have you tried Media Monkey? The streaming is not that easy to set up but it should work. (Not sure if the free version streams.)

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you have an old computer (perhaps a laptop), you could set it up by the TV and network it, so that it can access the appropriate folders on your primary computer. You could then move the USB cable from the TV to that computer whenever you want, so that it would be easy to copy your video files to the external hard drive -- you wouldn't have to move the hard drive around; you would only need to move the cable.

This isn't a perfect solution, but if you have an old computer that you aren't using, it may be preferable to what you are doing now.