Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Auckland. New Zealand
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Changing ADO connections in VB because of Word upgrade?

    I developed a Word template for someone almost 2 years ago (and therefore I can't remember much about how I did it now). Amongst other things the template accesses an Excel spreadsheet using an ADO connection.

    The statement I use to set this up is:

    With cnt
    .Provider = "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0"
    .ConnectionString = sConn
    .Open
    End With

    The template was used extensively with no problems until the person I developed it for decided to upgrade to Word 2013. During their testing to make sure everything was going to run okay, they encountered a Run-time error 80040e37. (see attached screen shot) As far as I know they were able to open a document based on the template, but they encountered this error when they tried to do particular functionality. I haven't been able to confirm this yet.

    As my user and I are no longer in the same location, I copied his version of the template (to make sure we were using the same one), onto my laptop. Now when I try to create a document based on that template (by going to Word, clicking on New, and selecting the template) I am getting a Run-time error 80004005 (see attached screen shot). I have worked out that my run-time error is caused by the 'With cnt..." statement above.

    Unfortunately, after 2 years, I can't remember how I worked out that the provider should be "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0". I have gone into Tools, References and have scrolled down the list but could not find this reference. I did find a "Microsoft Access 14.0 Object Library" so I tried checking this and changing the version in the statement from 12.0 to 14.0, but no joy. (I got another error message and as I was clutching at straws I won't confuse the issue by noting it.)

    I did find some instructions in a textbook that said to look for a reference starting with "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects", and I did find a newer version of this (6.1 instead of 2.8) but checking on it doesn't seem to have made a difference (i.e I still get the same run-time errror).

    As usual, I have got myself all confused.

    I don't know if the two run-time errors are linked (e.g. my error is appearing because I'm running Windows 7 and not XP any more), and my user's error is caused because they've upgraded to Office 2013 (and possibly Windows 8? - I can check if I'm on the right track) or if it is a coincidence and they are totally unrelated.

    Any help would be appreciated. At this stage, obviously I am trying to sort out my run-time error so I can see if I can run the template okay on my laptop. Once I've confirmed this, I'll go visit my user and confirm what he's doing.
    Run-time error 80040e37.pngRun-time error 80004005.png

  2. #2
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Auckland. New Zealand
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    SOLVED

    That's what I love about VBA (NOT) - the problem was totally unrelated to the upgrade in Word. (We only had to apply a small fix to change the location of the templates so they could be accessed from a network.) Nope, the problem was that neither of us had the required file in the required directory (I'd rebuilt my computer a few weeks ago so it had disappeared). So, the good news is that it's solved. I know, I know, I should have spotted that first, at least for my computer, but there you go.

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,287
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Glad you solved it and thanks for posting the solution.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •