Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Can't get updates

Since last Nov/Dec I have had problems trying to update Windows. I don't receive any updates and when I check for them I get error 80080005.
    Windows Update is set to check with me before downloading and installing. I am not seeing any UPdate messages so when I check I get the error.
    I have been able to get definitions for MSE to install but even checking for that I get messages that it didn't update because of an Internet or network connectivity problem.
    I am using Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1, 32 bit with 2GB memory. The hard drive in 300GB with 168GB free.

These updates have installed successfully several times since mid November according to my update history

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2859537)
    Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2676562)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2882822)
    Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2872339)

MSE updates worked good until then also, not it only updates every few days.

Any ideas are appreciated as I don't think it is working correctly.

Also when I go to Control Panel to uninstall an update why does it tell me no updates are installed on this computer?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if the steps in this article help http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-c5fbc1c347d4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to let you know I spent 2 days trying all the fixes and still can't get any updates.
    If I look at Installed Updates it tells me there are no updates installed on this computer.
    Update history KB947821 installed on 2/10/2014. This occurred while I was trying all the fixes. If I look at Windows Update it says most recent check for updates: Never, updates were installed: Never, You receive updates: for Windows and other products from Microsoft Update. Before I tried any fixes my most recent check for updates was 11/14/2013 and updates were installed in January 2014 I think. It had been installing the same four updates several times and always successful. I am ready to do a reinstall of Win 7 to see if that will help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try an offboot sfc /scannow before resorting to a reinstall.

Your Win 7 disk probably doesn't include SP1 so it won't exactly match the current status of your OS but you can download a SP1 ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ and use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

You will need to go into the BIOS to change the Boot order to whichever media you use to boot before the HDD, insert the USB/DVD then press F10 to Save and Exit.

Select the Repair option and then the Command Prompt when given the choice of options.

Type and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

This will confirm which drive your OS is in.

Assuming C: type and enter sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows and see what that reports.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since trying the earlier fixes I now find I have no updates installed. How does that happen? So if I have no updates I probably don't have sp1 installed. My OEM dvd does not say anything about sp1 on it. So if that is the case how do I get to the repair option? Was also thinking of restoring the computer back to before I did the "fixes" last weekend first to see if I get my updates back.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you were unable to get WUs before the "fixes" then restoring back prior to them could be fruitless.

Download and run a full scan with the free version of MBAM to see if your computer has been infected (scroll down the page for the download button)

Did you create Win 7 Pro SP1 ISO bootable disk to do the offboot sfc /scannow ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the offboot sfc /scannow by using a usb drive with the downloaded ISO and also my copy of win7 dvd.
    osdevice partition=D
    /scannow verify file=C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    scanfile=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    /offbootdir=d:\/offwindir=d:\windows
    /verify only

Both ways gave me the same results

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that could be the problem as your OS has somehow been changed from C to D drive, unless you have installed it as such.

As your OS has been identified as being in D - the command would then be sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\Windows

You can change them back in Disk Management but not if one of the partitions is already using C: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

You may have to juggle the letters about a bit so that you can reassign the boot drive to C:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am confused. When I used the usb to boot from and choose the repair option and then type bcdedit |find "osdevice" at the command prompt I get osdevice partition=D.
    I assume this is because the usb device is "D". I would think it should be checking something on my C drive to find the problem. Am I not following you? My hard drive is C and it is the only partition. The boot partition is in the C drive.
    Last edited by xyiegphriedt; 2014-02-16 at 18:39.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you go Start and click on Computer (or My Computer) how many drives are displayed ?

I use an OEM laptop with a D: Recovery partition and displays as mine.

What does your Windows display as ?

If Windows is trying to download to C: and cannot find it, then the updates will fail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    computer drives; not sure what E, F G are because when I insert USB drives they become H, and I.
    As you can see I have 168GB free on C
    Last edited by xyiegphriedt; 2014-02-16 at 19:37.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the other problem I have that appears to be related to why my updates don't work. Of course I am on the internet now, but sometime when I try to get updates I get basically the same message.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you go Start, type diskmgmt.msc - press Enter then post a snip of that and do you have any external drives plugged in when you boot ?

While Windows Updates won't work in Safe Mode with Networking, can you do a manual check for your AV updates in Safe Mode with Networking to see if you get the same error message and can you post which security programs you have besides MSE installed and have you recently changed your AV program from something else ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-17 at 06:00.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this a dicey copy of windows?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dddougal View Post
    Is this a dicey copy of windows?
    unpredictable and potentially dangerous? This in a OEM computer that I didn't have any issues with updates for Windows or virus protection until last October.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast