Star Lounger
    Thanks

New disk with Windows 7 Home Prem: "no connections available" w/CAT5

I just installed a new disk to replace one that crashed on a Toshiba laptop. I used a downloaded Win 7 ISO file to reinstall Windows Home Premium. Everything came back up without a problem until I tried to plug in the network cable. I switched the cable at the switch to verify that the switch was working, so the problem is on the laptop. The connections icon in the systems tray is showing "no connections are available" and when I go through the Control Panel> Connect to the Internet, it tells me "Windows did not detect any networking hardware."

Any ideas as to what I need to try? Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You need the Toshiba drivers for the network card, which you can get from the Toshiba site. Also collect the other motherboard drivers for that laptop.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2014-02-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I've found the list for this model on the Toshiba site. Is there a way for me to identify what items are "motherboard drivers?" It's not obvious from the proprietary names in the list. The only thing listed under "Chipset" is "Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility" but the laptop has an AMD Athlon processor.

My hope is that once I get the thing connected to the 'net, I can update the drivers from the system devices utility. According to the specs, this laptop has an AMD Radeon graphics card, but the Toshiba site only offers nVidia drivers, which makes me hesitant to download very much on my own. Thanks again...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you find the network driver for the laptop?
    Post the laptop model and we can help look.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Can you find the network driver for the laptop?"

Yes, that I've found. It was your reference to motherboard drivers that led me to being unsure of what else to grab. Although it has an AMD processor, the "chipset" category produces just the "Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility" and its description says it should be run before installing any other drivers. Not sure what to make of the apparent mismatch between AMD and Intel.

The site is at: http://support.toshiba.com/drivers
    ...with the model set to: Satellite L655D-S5050
    ...and the overall filter set to: Windows 7 (64bit) (near the bottom)

Thanks for any advice...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you also select LAN you get drivers for the on-board network card - I hope.
    To confirm it's an Intel network chip run Device Manager and look for network adapters with a yellow exclamation mark.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm...the Device Manager doesn't report any brand at all for either "Ethernet Controller" or "Network Controller." Since the website only shows the Intel driver for "LAN," I think I'm going to just install it and hope for the best. There is also a "Toshiba Value-added Package" that seems to be a utility designed to handle updates to their devices, so I'll probably add that next.

Fingers now crossed...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, no luck. I tried to install the "LAN driver" and it failed with the message that no Ethernet controller was installed.

In looking around for the ISO file for Win 7, I found some references that there was something wrong with the one posted on the MS site. Does anyone know anything about this? I downloaded X17-24209.iso.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure which MS site you are referring to where you downloaded the ISO from but these usually work http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ but they don't contain any drivers, only a Toshiba OEM install disk would have those.

When I put your model into the box in your link and clicked on LAN in the left menu, it gave an Atheros one and clicking on Display included one for AMD.

msinfo32 may list all of your Network adapters which you can access by going Start, type msinfo32 then press Enter and navigate Components/Network/Adapter and scroll down the list.

Clicking on Hardware/Memory may also list the adapters.

Clicking on WiFi in the Toshiba site gave various makes of adapter, so you will need to identify which you have before choosing one of those unless Windows Updates drops one in for you once you have the LAN working.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-07 at 18:19.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    Thanks! I've found the list for this model on the Toshiba site. Is there a way for me to identify what items are "motherboard drivers?" It's not obvious from the proprietary names in the list. The only thing listed under "Chipset" is "Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility" but the laptop has an AMD Athlon processor.

My hope is that once I get the thing connected to the 'net, I can update the drivers from the system devices utility. According to the specs, this laptop has an AMD Radeon graphics card, but the Toshiba site only offers nVidia drivers, which makes me hesitant to download very much on my own. Thanks again...
    You won't find "motherboard" drivers per se; rather, you'll find the drivers for the various motherboard components, such as "chipset", NIC, video, audio, etc.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-07 at 19:01.

Thanks
    The easiest way by far to find the correct NIC driver for your laptop is to use another NIC to connect to the internet, then do a Windows update. Look under the optional/hardware devices that are listed. You'll likely see a NIC driver listed. Download and install it, and your internal NIC will then work. You can then disconnect the temporary NIC.

Some "temporary" NICs that can be used for this procedure: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=589

Once you have done that, you can then get on line with your Toshiba laptop and easily download and install all of the other drivers that you need.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-07 at 19:01.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In Device Manager can you see a network card with a yellow exclamation mark?
    If so double click on it to open the properties window.
    Click the Details tab and select "Hardware IDs" from the dropdown.
    Post the info / screenshot and we will be able to tell you what drivers you need.

cheers, Paul