New Lounger
    Thanks

Using regular software on touch screen devices

I apologize in advance if I sound dumb, but I am a person who does not own a single touch screen device, so I don't know much about how things work on them. My son on the other hand does not want to use anything that doesn't have a touch screen. I'm thinking about purchasing a touch screen Windows 8 laptop for him, but I wanted to know if he'll be able to run regular software on it (I am mostly interested in maintenance programs). For instance, I regularly use Auslogics Disk Defrag and other utilities to keep my computers defragmented, cleaned up and running smooth. Can you use such software on touch-screen computers? Is there a special version of say Auslogics Disk Defrag that is meant for such computers (didn't see one on their site) or will the regular version work? What about other software.
    I know I could ask each software manufacturer this question, but I wanted to hear what tech gurus here have to say about this issue in general.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    As long as you do NOT buy a Windows RT machine you'll be fine. Windows 8 & 8.1 both run desktop programs just fine. Some programs may have a touch version app or have enhanced the desktop version to be easier to use with a touchscreen. You'd have to check each vendor's site for details.

Joe