New Lounger
    Thanks

Can you put antivirus protection on a thumb-drive?

Here's my dilemma: I am sending a 3rd laptop to a clinic in Haiti that our church sponsors. The clinic employees use thumb-drives to transfer data amongst computers all the time because there is no internet in the clinic. (We are NOT going to provide it either, they get one internet connection dongle with a set number of minutes on it per month, otherwise the clinic becomes the newest hotspot and no one gets anything done!)

The problem is invariably someone gets a virus and then transmits it to everyone else via the thumb-drive. I would love to have a "clinic only" thumb-drive that has antivirus protection on it, for it, so that nothing malicious could be downloaded or transmitted through it. Right now the other two laptops are not functioning correctly and so while my husband is there next week I am going to have to try to problem solve those issues over the phone. If they are infected I don't want this new one infected too!

I've turned off auto-run on the new computer, I've installed MalwareBytes pro and AVG antivirus, but I would love to have them use a thumb-drive that couldn't transmit anything. Does such a beast exist? I've tried Googling it and must be using the wrong words because I just keep getting programs to put on a thumb-drive for when I want to go out into the field to fix computers. These are great resources and may help with the other two clinic computers, but are not what I am looking for.

So I am turning to you, O wise computer wizards....Any ideas??

Thanks for any help you can give me,
    Mom2one

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or a thumb-drive that had to "handshake" with the computer to be used? Does that exist/ would it work? Could I then decline all other thumb-drives?
    Mom2one

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    There is software that will prevent use of USB drives, but it costs more, then there is the management and if they need to use an unknown USB stick....
    All you can really do it set your anti virus to completely scan any external drive as soon as it's connected.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Mom,

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2one View Post
    Here's my dilemma: I am sending a 3rd laptop to a clinic in Haiti that our church sponsors. The clinic employees use thumb-drives to transfer data amongst computers all the time because there is no internet in the clinic. (We are NOT going to provide it either, they get one internet connection dongle with a set number of minutes on it per month, otherwise the clinic becomes the newest hotspot and no one gets anything done!)
    Have you considered setting up a Peer-to-Peer network via a switch that will connect the computers for file transfer/sharing but has no internet connectivity? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Could I use an old wireless router as the switch? I have dozens of those around. No internet to access--so it will just act as a local area network? Do it work that way?
    Mom2one

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would / could the software be used to prevent use of all USB drives except one special one? That we only use for clinic computers? But I will go right now and make sure the antivirus is set to scan all external drives upon connection. If I could just get people to leave person stuff at home and only use clinic stuff at the clinic! Sigh....
    Thanks!
    Mom2one

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can relate to the issues you describe. I volunteer at a non-profit organization in which volunteers and people we have can access up to 6 computers and at one time it was a disastrous computer environment. I became the go-to guy. At first they had only 2 computers with "travelling" floppy disks. To make a long story short, In the beginning I checked out each computer on a daily basis in the morning, then a weekly maintenance regime and now it's only a monthly plan. Naturally I have to admit your situation is much more difficult than I was up against, but do you have a go-to person who can be helpful in developing a decent system according to your needs?

Thanks
    Mom,

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2one View Post
    Could I use an old wireless router as the switch?
    You bet. Just don't connect any cables to the WAN port.

Here's a Registry Tweak to disable USB ports. I don't know if this works or not I found it by searching. So Make sure you have an Image backup of your system or at a minimum a very recent Restore Point then give it a try. If it works you are set to go. If not revert to your restore point or Image and no damage done. Of course you will test this locally (on your pc) before trying it at a remote location. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs