Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 7 does not recognize my files?

I need help please, with Windows 7 and XP. I have so many programs that I bought for XP, they barely function in Win7. Now after a fresh install on a new drive, win 7 looks all wonky, looks totally different(*?) and will not function with my files. I get a warning that I have not associated this file with any program? And "cannot open with" any of my programs. mainly CS2, Painter 11 and Jasc PSP7, I know these are older programs, but in XP excellent tools to do post work, and actually they worked fine in my first install of Win 7. Not able to use in win 7 now.

I did a clean install for poser Pro 2014, a 3D graphics program.

I saw a post by english bob that mentioned partitioning for win 7 pro (*same as I have), something called Umbuntu(? which I do not know) and a partition for XP (*which I did not know that you could do!). Can anyone help me???? Would you help me learn how to do these things? Altho I built my system I am not that techy.

I am so lost and upset, none of my plug ins want to work and win 7 looks different on this new install. I honestly feel it is an update that messed it up. But I am not sure. I hear that XP had a 64bit version, but that was as bad as windows for compatibility and such.

I built my computer, here are my specs> it has a 64bit i5 processor, 16 Gig of Ram, an nVidia GTX560 and an 800watt Cosair cooler.

I need help as soon as possible. Since I can't get my files to open and I am afraid they will get "lost"!!! Already some of my photoshop files aren't visible! They are there, but not to the naked eye....

Should I do a re-install???

Thank you so much,
    HugZ!
    Ariana
    Last edited by Ariana_FFD; 2014-02-07 at 22:58. Reason: additional ifo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

I think there is too much going on at the same time and that makes it hard to get a handle on the current situation.

So you have a new installation of Windows 7. Did you install all your programs in it or did you migrate them using some migration tool? Which are the programs that do not work properly? Can you describe how they fail to work properly?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Ariana_FFD (2014-02-09)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you installed CS2, Painter 11 and Jasc PSP7 on Windows 7? If you have the files shouls all open happily.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Ariana_FFD (2014-02-09)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are steps in this article which may help even if you aren't infected http://en.kioskea.net/faq/18112-file...ted-how-to-fix

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Ariana_FFD (2014-02-09)

Thanks
    OK, first I had a clean install on a new computer that I built.
    All was well.

I purchased a new software that was fairly large and complex, Poser Pro 2014

So I did a new install on a clean larger C drive disk, the look and the way it "viewed" my files
    is totally different now. I cannot open certain files and they showed "empty" folders, that still has
    had content in them? That has never happened to me before.

I have 3 internal (*250, 2TBx2) and 2 external drives. Non-Partitioned. Oh the externals are only
    used when needed.

This new/fresh install was on a fresh/clean drive. 250GB. I did not migrate.

CS2, Painter 11 and Jasc PSP7 I always do not associate with any files and I have always
    been able to use the feature "Open with" with no problems. And do not want any default program
    to have direct control over them.

Now more then half of my folders "look" empty, but my content is in there. But it is
    scary to not see my folders populated. This is what is the problem. Some content will not
    open I get an error message "An undefined error has occurred -565" or "This file is not
    associated with any program, please install the correct program" neither of these appeared
    before this install. Even on my original install of Win7. That is why I wonder if it is a windows
    update issue?

Does this explain it better? After years in XP, and doing graphics with several of the named
    program and more, I have never had these issues until this new instal, even my original install
    of win7 did not act this wonky! Thank you all for your responses.

HugZ!
    Ariana

Thanks
    Oh or an XML issue? I am so new to Win7 I am at a loss.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    There are steps in this article which may help even if you aren't infected http://en.kioskea.net/faq/18112-file...ted-how-to-fix
    Thank you for this link, but I have no clue which file could be corrupted, they are never on my "C" drive.... they are on my "D"/"E" and externals. We are talking about 2-6 TB's of content, art and PS Brushes/Etc.

I run my malwarebytes and other anti-virus religiously. Nothing has been detected but a Pup file that came from a cnet download. I destroyed it and did a system restore, back to a week previous.

For all intents my computer seems to be virus/malware free. Advice about this?

Thank You!
    HugZ!
    Ariana

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you open a file from within CS2? This will confirm the files are OK.
    When you say you have empty folders with content in them, is this using Windows Explorer, or Poser Pro? If it's Poser it may be worth repairing the installation of Poser.

It is unlikely to be an XML issue, XML is just text.

You seem to be doing the right things to keep viruses off your machine. Keep doing what you are doing.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Windows has recorded an error, does Event Viewer record anything that MS would give possible solutions for.

565 could be associated with a (0x##) for a more specific error.

There are other links in that article which gives fixes for various file types and for different OSs.

You could create a restore point prior to trying each for Win 7.

Thanks
    Sorry I was gone all day, I did a deep malwarebytes scan of all drives.
    This what I found>>>
    Files Detected: 6
    C:\Users\-0-\AppData\Local\Temp\DownloadManager.exe (PUP.Optional.OutBrowse) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\-0-\AppData\Local\Temp\Installer.msi (PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\-0-\AppData\Local\Temp\nsa532.exe (PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\-0-\AppData\Local\Temp\nsw70FE.exe (PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\-0-\AppData\Local\Temp\nsw80D7.exe (PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\-0-\AppData\Local\Temp\SearchProtectINT.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-0- is in place of the computer name for security.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Can you open a file from within CS2? This will confirm the files are OK.
    When you say you have empty folders with content in them, is this using Windows Explorer, or Poser Pro? If it's Poser it may be worth repairing the installation of Poser.

It is unlikely to be an XML issue, XML is just text.

You seem to be doing the right things to keep viruses off your machine. Keep doing what you are doing.

cheers, Paul
    Yes altho you cannot see the files in the folders, They do load up. Most are my Ron Deviney brushes and other assorted PS file types. I did find a bad file in my PS section, and I deleted it. It was Opanda filters. Like a Camera filter but for photoshop.

HugZ!
    Ariana

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    As Windows has recorded an error, does Event Viewer record anything that MS would give possible solutions for.

565 could be associated with a (0x##) for a more specific error.

There are other links in that article which gives fixes for various file types and for different OSs.

You could create a restore point prior to trying each for Win 7.
    Since I did remove 6 files that were corrupted, I may have fixed this. I may have to wipe my other 250GB drive and do a fresh install with the clean D/E drives, now that they are free of corruptions. Opinion?

Thank you all so darn much!

HugZ!
    Ariana

Oh and I am going to do a restore point for now, at least for the weekend, I will wait to hear on the fresh install advice.
    Last edited by Ariana_FFD; 2014-02-08 at 20:05.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Arian, how can you open files if you cannot see them in folders?

The files listed as "PUP..." are usually just adware, not viruses as such, and shouldn't cause the issues you describe. The files arrive as part of software you installed.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Arian, how can you open files if you cannot see them in folders?

The files listed as "PUP..." are usually just adware, not viruses as such, and shouldn't cause the issues you describe. The files arrive as part of software you installed.

cheers, Paul
    OK, the photoshop files were looking like empty folders, but when I tried to change brushes they would load like normal in PS but if you were to go to the drive and look at the folder from the outside or inside they were blank. Don't ask me why but they were. I am so pleased to say that since those 6 files were removed, and I did a 2nd deep scan all is right!!! The folders populated and you can see the content! Even in just the drive. I was afraid that Win7 was "eating" them

For what ever reason everything seems to be fixed.

I sincerely want to thank everyone of you for taking the time to help me. As the backend of Windows is not my area of expertise or knowledge.

HugZ!
    Ariana

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well done for that. I am glad you solved it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast