Thanks

Creating subsections in OneNote

I am using OneNote 2010 on my Win 7 Laptop, OneNote Web Apps on my Windows 8 Phone, and OneNote 2013 on my Windows RT tablet.
    I have a Notebook named "Recipes", and have several sections in that notebook. What I would like to do is create a subsection within the section. Currently when I create a subsection, it moves it to the bottom of the section, and unless I am doing something wrong I am unable to move it under the section where I would like it.

Here is an example of what I want:

Notebook - Recipes
    Sections- Mexican
    Subsection - Beef Recipes
    Subsection - Chicken Recipes

I have created subpages to do this, and although that will suffice it would be nice to have it under the "Mexican" or whatever else section I would need. I have also linked the Mexican Chicken Recipes under the Chicken Recipes to the Chicken section. that way I only have enter it in one place, and the link works across all three devices.

Thanks

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Not sure what you are calling subsections, I don't think the concept exists, as such, in OneNote. I am using 2013, so I am not sure it applies to 2010, but I think it does. In terms of hierarchy, AFAIK, you have Section Groups, Sections, Pages, and Sub-Pages (two levels here). If you right click a section, you are offered the option to create a Section Group or a Section, so I think you need to start there. It thus seems your organization needs to be.

Notebook - recipes
    Section Group -Mexican
    Section - Beef Recipes
    Section - Chicken Recipes
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

t8ntlikly (2014-02-08)

Thanks
    What I am calling a subsection, is actually a subsection group. I've tried that, while that is exactly what I want, I am unable to move that subsection up to the Mexican Section so that it shows as a subgroup there. What I would like is for the Section Mexican to have a subsection. It would look similar to the Page and subpages as seen on the right.

Subsections.png
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    John,

I repeat what I said, there are no subsection groups, that I know of, in OneNote. There are section groups, which can include multiple sections, thus being hierarchically above sections:

It would look something like this:

CaptureOn1.JPG

CaptureOn2.JPG
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

t8ntlikly (2014-02-08)

Thanks
    I understand that Rui, that is why I asked, if I were missing something there or even if it could be done. Also as I mentioned and show in the screenshot, I have created that scenario in the pages, which will suffice.

thanks for your help as usual you are spot on
    John
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry that it doesn't seem to be what you wanted. As I understand, Section Groups can be a bit unreliable.

I am a regular user of OneNote (2nd Office app I use the most, the 1st being Outlook) and I never use Section Groups. I guess I could have use for sub-sub-sub pages, though .
    Rui
    -------
    R4