Thanks

Cannot change default search provider in IE 11

If I go to Manage Add-ons / Search Providers, I am not allowed to change them. It says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions..."

How do I fix this? I am the only one on this PC and have admin rights, so...?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    I use IE 10. I had upgraded to IE 11, but there were issues (it's been a while, so I don't remember what they were).

I have read that others have also had issues with IE 11.

You might want to try uninstalling IE 11 and go back to your previous version of Internet Explorer.

Thanks
    Good idea. TX
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Jim;

I just averted a near catastrophe: I turned IE11 off in the Windows Features. BUT, it didn't roll back, it just stopped working. Then it wouldn't let me install IE10, since it still saw IE 11 there.

I ran a repair and luckily [or not] I have IE 11 working again -- but I still have not been able to remove Bing as my default search. It keeps telling me that the option has been turned off by the Administrator. I logged in as Admin, but that didn't fix it either.

So I guess I'm stuck until I can do a re-install or recovery from a backup.

This sucks!

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To roll back any IE upgrade is done by uninstalling the update in Installed Updates.

Turning it off in Windows features disables it completely and removes all access to IE and the Internet, so you should have an alternative browser installed as a safeguard should things go awry when you recheck the box to reinstate it.

Came across an interesting YT video which you could apply to your problem but you will need to use RG's timely link in http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n?goto=newpost to enable gpedit in your Home Premium and heed his advice by at least creating a restore point prior to running the batch files.

This is the YT Video which I hope will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yus0dCs1dJM
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-09 at 02:54.

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    You need to fully uninstall IE 11. Once you have done that, you will be back to whatever version you had prior to upgrading to IE 11.

The following applies to Windows 7, but it's probably the same for other versions of Windows:

There are three places you need to check to make sure it is fully uninstalled:

Control Panel / Programs and Features

1) Uninstall or change a program -- If you find IE 11 listed here, right-click it and then choose Uninstall / Change.
    2) View installed updates -- If you find IE 11 listed here, right-click it and then choose Uninstall.
    3) Turn Windows Features on or off -- If you find IE 11 listed here, uncheck it, then click OK.

After doing all of that, reboot the computer. You should be back to a fully functional previous version of IE.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-10 at 09:24.