Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a vote for Chrome, although I will admit that IE 11 is working well for me in Windows 8.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WFS For This Useful Post:

acerfmayer (2014-02-20)

Thanks
    i've used 'crazy browser' for years. it's an IE shell browser. it uses the IE engine but not its GUI. IE is running but it doesn't know it. http://www.crazybrowser.com
    the only problem is that it hasn't been updated since 2011 but i'm still using it on a win7 PC.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley For This Useful Post:

acerfmayer (2014-02-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All:

FWIW: I have tried the WaterFox 64-bit recompile of FireFox and it was okay for awhile, but support seems to have stopped. I moved on to CyberFox (64-bit) and it works great for me, except there is no working "convert web page to PDF" add-in that works well with it, other than some that depend on a often-hidden-website to do the conversion whereas I desire local conversion. Its possible that the latest Acrobat Pro works with 64-bit browser, but I don't want to spend the money on that.

I also have SeaMonkey installed, but use it mostly for simple webpage editing, although I do miss its ability to switch between browser and email, and between different email accounts without quitting (like is now the approach in Thunderbird, which we also use).

I recently adopted PDFXchange Editor for most work on PDFs, and it's PDF viewer function works great in FF and CF, and most functions are free. The Pro version does more -- almost everything that Acrobat does and costs a small fraction of that one.

I have Chrome installed, but rarely use it; other than a recent problem with a website that delivered PDFs for e-signing and wouldn't work with IE, FF, CF or anything else in either 32-bit or 64-bit browsers or O/S's.

HTH

Rob

Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP is FrontierNet.net which access's all incoming and outgoing email's and provides any information found to advertisers, and there's no opt out of course. They also use information from all other Internet access in any and every way possible. And this is for ISP service that I pay for.

Is there any email client that can grab emails before the ISP so that my ISP does not even see the incoming or outgoing mail?? And the same for other Internet access so that my ISP is unable to harvest information??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An update about my experience re Superbird browser:
    Crash several times on light browsing, and less than 6 tabs, mostly 2 tabs.
    My opinion: not recommended, or wait for improved versions.

I ran Superbird unmodified in default mode, no addons. Superbird opens/surfs faster than Chrome, Iron browser, Firefox, Palemoon. Clearly more snappiness. (Note: Browsers tested are portable versions.)

[Superbird is a privacy-centric Chrome derivation. Google for details.]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My brother has a Dell 3000 desktop XP Pro SP3. He wants to switch his browser to Mozilla Firefox as he wants to continue using his computer as long as possible
    --- I personally am not in favor of continuing to use an XP OS but if he wants to try Mozilla Firefox I can certainly install it for him; however I do not have experience with Firefox

All he does is use Yahoo for his email, plays Pogo, uses Microsoft Office 2000 Word & Excel, in addition I like to use familysearch.org for genealogy
    So my questions are:
    How to ensure Firefox is safe & secure?
    Since the computer will not upgrade to a higher IE version then 8, is that a limiting factor?

Thanks
    The management at Mozilla decided that the new CEO would not be retained because of a personal
    political donation in 2008. Gays objected and management folded. The new CEO resigned.

Now there is a counter response of dropping Mozilla. I am dropping them.

There are many alternatives for Desktop, Pad or phone.

Al
    Al

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back.
    Paul Erdos

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    My brother ... wants to switch his browser to Mozilla Firefox ...
    ... but if he wants to try Mozilla Firefox I can certainly install it for him; however I do not have experience with Firefox ...
    Download it ONLY from Mozilla's download page.

After installing Firefox with the defaults and stating it:

1. Click on the down arrow in the orange Firefox square in left top of screen.
    2. Open the sub menu of Options and place a check mark at Menu Bar.
    3. In the menu bar click Options, Add-ons
    4. In the search bar of the add-on window search for Adblock Plus
    5. Allow Adblock plus to be installed.
    6. In Adblock's set up should come up automatically; in this window check Malware Blocking, Social Buttons and (Privacy?)
    ... well all three choices
    7. In the search bar of the add-on window search for WOT
    8. Allow WOT to be installed and restart the browser

Inform yourself and your bro about what WOT does. Tell your bro to click ONLY on search results with a green circular mark.
    ... he wants to continue using his computer ...
    I only can comment with an old joke: If ignorance is bliss why aren't more people happy?
    ... however I do not have experience with Firefox ...
    But now you know what to do to make it rock.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-04-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    eikelein, your instructions for Firefox are helpful for me because I've been thinking about using Firefox on one of my Win7 computers
    --- I've haven't had issues with IE's so that will stay on my other Win7 computer
    For my brother though, I wish he would move on from XP
    --- Just like so many other people I help and computer articles I read about people who love their XP's, they wonder something like: why do I have to change? my computer runs fine
    --- In my experience, most of the time, people don't like change, I've seen people get upset over a home page change, never mind an OS change
    --- I remember when I was the dumbest of the dumbest when I had to learn how to use a computer at work in 1985
    --- I've come a long way since then and I've seen changes after changes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12