Thanks

Software maintenance

I use Secunia PSI on all of our computers, home office and store. It is amazingly slow and user options are limited. For example, if it shows one update needed and I do the update it then has to scan the whole computer again at a glacial pace to tell me everything is fine. Unless I'm missing something?

Anyway, its basic function is very valuable to me. I am only one person and updating software isn't even the tiniest portion of the work I do. And I'm not really complaining about Secunia PSI. It is free and it is effective, so who am I to complain? What I'm really wondering is if there is a better alternative available right now. Everything has its day.

Thanks
    Sounds like you are trying to use version 3.0 of Secunia PSI. I tried it and immediately got rid of it.

Version 2.0 gives more user options. See if you can find a copy online.

Be sure to configure PSI to ignore any data drives (saves time). My system completes a scan in about 1.5 minutes (I do have a SSD for my C: drive.)

Thanks
    Does V2.0 use the same software database to determine what needs updating? I do remember liking it better.

And being automated updating software, does it try to update itself, too?

Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could give FileHippo's update checker a try.
    George

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I'm not having any problems with PSI 3.0. I would suggest that you completely uninstall PSI with Revo Uninstaller and get rid of all the settings it offers to remove. Then reboot and try to reinstall. As mentioned make sure you configure it to ignore all but the drives/partitions where you have your programs installed, especially if you have a multi terabyte drive. BTW this is one reason I'm a proponent of drive partitioning. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Version 2.0 uses the same database of updates.

As for automated updates, I personally don't believe in doing anything like it. I don't use automated updates for MS Updates, Secunia Updates, Adobe Flash or Avast.

I want to be in control of what is put on my computer at all times. I want to review each suggested update item by item.

BTW: File Hippo does not have Secunia PSI, I just checked.

Thanks
    A quick search for Secunia PSI 2.0 yielded the download site: http://secunia-psi.software.informer.com/2.0/

Thanks
    Is a website with a name like informer.com to be trusted to provide safe software? I do run Secunia on automatic and so need to know that it is legit or it could load just about anything on my system.

Oh, and as for automatic updates, I have so many pieces of software on my 7 business systems and so little time to manage them that manual updates are a luxury I simply cannot afford. Even with Secunia's help there are occasional updates that it can't install and there are other pieces of software which it doesn't even monitor. Examples of those are Thunderbird and Firefox which only update themselves when open, and our POS software and Macrium which I have to keep up on without Secunia's help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    McAfee found informer.com to be safe (although don't know how much faith you can put into that) http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/informer.com but Google at times didn't http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...=informer.com/

Probably best to stick with what you feel confident with, however much the workload.