Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fix needed for .net2 on up-to-date XP pro

I'm considering replacing XP Pro with W7. Microsoft has a tool that can tell me whether my hardware is able to run W7. Sounds easy, but trying to run the tool only gets me a message that my .net2 has a problem. .net2 won't uninstall from Control Panel>Programs, so I'm stuck.

How can I fix my .net2 on my up-to-date XP Pro?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If your hardware is less than 10 years old it may be OK for Windows 7. Tell us what your PC is, what your budget is and we will advise.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    One way to solve the problem would be to use the .net framework cleanup tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...8/8904493.aspx

This will remove all .net versions from your computer, which means you will then need to reinstall them. This can be a lengthy process and I would recommend a backup before you do it. Also, afterwards, I would recommend you download and install .net 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 in this order.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ruirib: Thanks... I had hoped to avoid the wholesale removal of all the dotnetties, particularly since I ain't got the faintest idea of what they are doing. Do you think that removing and reinstalling .net2 alone is a possibility?

@paul t: Thanks... OK, pal, here's the list: Homebuilt PC - approx. 10 years old

> Intel P4 CPU 2.40GHz (1 core)
    > 2 GB DDR (PC2700, 166MHz) memory (maximum allowed)
    > Open AX4GE Max mobo
    > Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller "Compatible with DirectX 9.0"
    > Windows XP Pro up-to-date
    > Available disk space: (single drive) over 120GB

As far as budget, if going from XP to W7 requires more than just buying W7, then I'll either try some flavor of Linux or just buy an other desktop.

Speaking of such things, geeks.com used to have great deals on refurbed pcs, but they are now out of that business. Who else sells refurbs?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like it'll run 32-bit W7 decently if you also put some better graphics in there or just stay with basic theme which can be very boring but lighter on graphical resources. I've purchased more than a few refurbs from Joy Systems through Rakuten (buy.com) as well as through reputable Ebay sellers if you know exactly what yer looking for.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
    @ruirib: Thanks... I had hoped to avoid the wholesale removal of all the dotnetties, particularly since I ain't got the faintest idea of what they are doing. Do you think that removing and reinstalling .net2 alone is a possibility?

@paul t: Thanks... OK, pal, here's the list: Homebuilt PC - approx. 10 years old

> Intel P4 CPU 2.40GHz (1 core)
    > 2 GB DDR (PC2700, 166MHz) memory (maximum allowed)
    > Open AX4GE Max mobo
    > Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller "Compatible with DirectX 9.0"
    > Windows XP Pro up-to-date
    > Available disk space: (single drive) over 120GB

As far as budget, if going from XP to W7 requires more than just buying W7, then I'll either try some flavor of Linux or just buy an other desktop.

Speaking of such things, geeks.com used to have great deals on refurbed pcs, but they are now out of that business. Who else sells refurbs?

The tool I linked is the recommended .net removal tool, but I confess I don't know whether it allows you to select which versions to remove. I never needed to use it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
    walmart.com is a great place to buy refurb computers. The prices are good, they offer free site to store shipping, and you can easily return it to your local Wal Mart if there is a problem with it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The tool I linked is the recommended .net removal tool, but I confess I don't know whether it allows you to select which versions to remove. I never needed to use it.
    IIRC, it does allow you to select the versions to uninstall.

Joe