Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No Internet connection (Windows XP)

[Sorry--I started with the understanding that the computer ran Win XP. Not so. It's a Win 7 machine.]

A family member called me tonight from two states away to ask for help with her Internet connection. Here's what I understand so far: She has a Windows 7 machine, a DSL modem, and a wireless router. The desktop connects to the router with an Ethernet cable. Everything was working fine, she told me, till today when she decided to rearrange the room. That involved disconnecting the computer from the router, but she did not need to disconnect the modem from the phone jack. When she put everything back together and started her computer, she found she's connected to her home network, but she has no connection to the Internet.

Her description of the setup sounds as if all the hardware is functioning properly. Where the Ethernet cable from the router plugs into the back of the desktop computer, she sees the green activity light flashing. On the screen, she sees that she's connected to her local network, but she has no Internet connection. I had her run the troubleshooter (a shot in the dark, I know), but that accomplished nothing.

She has restarted her computer "a million times," she said. All she did was shut down, unplug, and then put the system back together. I had her unplug the router and modem, then restart first the modem, then the router. Then we restarted the computer. Nothing changed.

I don't know where to go from here. Suggestions ... ?
    Last edited by Caesar3; 2014-02-09 at 19:59. Reason: Changed Win XP to Windows 7; added extra steps we've taken

Thanks
    Caesar,

Make sure she is plugging the cable from the modem into the correct port on the router!
    Did she remove power from the router? If so she may have to get into the router software and rerun the setup procedure.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I can't see or put my hands on her system. I've recommended she find someone close by who can work on this problem.

Thanks
    Try the following:

1. Power down the modem, router, and computer.
    2. Make sure that everything is connected correctly.
    3. Power on the modem. Wait for it to fully power on (i.e. all the lights are on on the modem, except for the "activity" light).
    4. Power on the router. Wait for it to fully power on (takes about five seconds).
    5. Power on the computer, and log onto Windows.

If that doesn't solve it, then look for someone locally who can assist.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    To check that she can still get Internet, have her plug the computer directly into the modem and if that works, ensure that she is plugging the Ethernet cable from the modem into the WAN port of the router so that she is using one of the LAN ports to connect to the computer.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. We ran through exactly that same drill last night, and she still had no connection. Oh, well ... time to call in Mr. Fixit.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've no way to verify exactly what's plugged into what, as this is a long-distance support situation. That's an important point, though. She told me she reconnected everything just the way it was, but I know it's easy to use the wrong port on the router. I'll ask that question. Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ensure that she has an Internet connection first by connecting the computer directly to the modem, as this could also be an unfortunate coincidence.