New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drive retrieval

I have a hard drive in my laptop that seems to have gone belly up. I thought it might be the boot sector only but it doesn't seem to be the case. Anybody have a good reference for someone to retrieve the data off the hard drive? I just need to get some information off of it really badly and my last back up was from October. I know this will take extra careful work and just want to get as much data as I can off of it.

Thanks ahead of time someone please help.......

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can put the drive in a USB enclosure you may be able to recover the data by plugging it into another machine. USB enclosures are very cheap.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Or get yourself a SATA to USB adapter.

The cheap method:
    Use a desktop's internal SATA port and power cable. This way all you'll need is an extra internal SATA cable specific
    for the type of drive you have.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-02-14)

Thanks
    For software I use SpinRite...it's not free but it has saved my bacon a few times. Just using it once is well worth the cost IMO.

Thanks
    You could try downloading a Linux Distro (e.g. Linux Mint or Ubuntu) and put it on memory stick. You can then boot from this and get your files that way (assuming the HD is readable.) I've done this myself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2014-02-14)