Lounger
    Thanks

advpack.dll problems

I can't get any Windows updates to apply on my Win2K system - and the error message refers to the advpack.dll file as the reason. I have searched the MS KB and find a reference to this dll with regard to an IE update - problems due to an old version of the dll - but I checked, and I am running version 6.0.2600.0 - much later than the version mentioned in the KB article. Anyone have any experience with this problem? Any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: advpack.dll problems

ADVPACK.DLL is part of Internet Explorer. According to the version number, you have IE 6 installed. Try to reinstall it (usually there is a copy of installation files in C:Windows Update Setup Files folder).
    I never encounter such an error message before - does it mean you're unable to apply patches saved on your hard drive?

Thanks

Do a search across your hard drive(s) - you may have multiple copies of the file, one of which is 'out of date' and is the one being detected as the problem.

(I just did the same here and found three copies - all different versions.....)

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it does. I have tried both the download and install and copy to my HD and install from there. Both fail. It also has caused problems with other updates (like the DirectX8.1 update). I'll try reinistalling IE6 and see what happens.

Lounger
    Thanks

There are four copies on my system, but I'm pretty sure only one is being used. Version 5.0.3103.100 is in c:winnt$NtServicePackUninstal$ and c:winntServicePackFilesi386. Version 6.0.2600.0 is in c:winntsystem32 and c:winntsystem32dllcache.

Lounger
    Thanks

I reinstalled IE6 and get the same errors when I try to apply the latest security update. Somthing else is going on here.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I never encountered such a problem before. What I can say, your older versions are in your Service Pack folder - that mean you install SP on your computer before IE6 installation, and Service Pack Uninstall folder - during SP installation you choose the option "Backup your current configuration..."
    Try to run System Files Checker - click Start | Run and type
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and hit Enter. But, it's hard to say, I don't know.

Lounger
    Thanks

I ran the SFC and it found no errors. I re-applied the service pack 2. I downloaded the security update and it failed.

Security Update, November 20, 2001 - version 6,4,9,1121 - failed install.
    3:13:19 PM Tuesday, December 04, 2001 : 5083

This is extremely strange. I think the "5083" means something, but I can find no reference to this error code in the MSKB.

This is a corporate PC behind a firewall, but I would like to be able to apply at least the security updates.

David