New Lounger
    Thanks

File permissions/ownership

Longtime lurker, first time poster.
    My son's Vista Home Premium system had a catastrophic failure of the motherboard. He asked if I could retrieve some documents and photos from the hard drive. I managed to get them, but it took longer than I thought it should.
    I connected his hard drive to a USB to SATA converter, and explored the drive. I was somewhat surprised that I had unfettered access to the ...USERS/admin directory, and copied out the few files of interest in that folder. I could not get access to the ...USERS/userA folder. I thought this might be a problem with permission/ownership of files in that folder. Going to the properties>Security>Advanced>Ownership tab, I could transfer ownership to myself for all object and subcontainers. This was, in fact, how I obtained the files. I could not get any farther down the tree than ...USER/userA. General properties of the folder reported a total file count in excess of four million files.
    Most of these files were actually in the subdirectories AppData>Local, LocalLow, and Roaming. Since I only had the option to transfer ownership of everything in the ...USERS/UserA directory, the process took nearly three days.
    My question is whether there is some way to get all the way to the ...Users/UserA/Documents directory before needing to transfer ownership.
    I also tried a search from a command prompt ran as administrator, but the subdirectories of interest return "File not Found" to the "Dir" query.
    I did get the files, so it is not a big problem. I am just wondering if there is a quicker method.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think if you were to use a Linux-based NTFS explorer from a utility disc or bootable USB you would be able to just copy the files of interest.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    kklet1,

You could have used a utility like "Take Ownership" to change ownership for the whole Users directory. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply.
    I was able to take ownership of the Users folder with one command, but it took nearly three days for the command to finish since there were so many files.