New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Corrupted User Profile/Permissions Issue

Recently, I had to get my motherboard replaced, and, when I got my computer back, I had a corrupt profile when I got back. I can still log into my account from Safe Mode, so I was able to create another user profile. This one works fine, but I'm having trouble with permissions to access my old files. Since this profile also has administrative privileges, I can open the folders and allow permission for me to view the files. The main issue is my music. When I open folders to allow them, I can listen to the tracks and they then show up in my Spotify library. However, if I try to put them on my phone, it says I don't have permission. Also, I don't have permission, apparently, to rip songs off of CDs in Windows Media Player. Also, occasionally, when I go to save files, it tells me I don't have permission and it forces me to save somewhere else.

I guess my preference would be to recover my original user profile, but if someone can at least help me out with the permissions, that'd be great.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

I suggest you try Take Ownership to overcome the permissions issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

I suggest you try Take Ownership to overcome the permissions issues.
    I ran it, and it acts like it works, but then the folders still make me grant myself permission. Is this normal?

Administrator
    Thanks
    But are you able to do what you need?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But are you able to do what you need?
    I don't think so... I just went through and allowed a bunch of folders, but they still aren't showing up in my Spotify library, although they should. But even if this process ends up working, it'd still be preferable if there was a way to do this more efficiently, as I have almost 7,000 songs, which means hundreds of artists with hundreds of album folders to open, which is very time-consuming.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If your songs are inside a main folder, you can just take ownership of such folder.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If your songs are inside a main folder, you can just take ownership of such folder.
    Yeah, I did "Take Control" for the whole My Music folder, but it's still forcing me to allow permission for each individual folder.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can check permissions for the folder and post them here: owner, all permissions for your current account.
    Rui
    -------
    R4