Thread: Macrium Reflect

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect

I downloaded Macrium-Reflect in order to create a system image because I planned to delete a number of files to "free up" the system from clutter and was advised to create an image of my drive in case of disaster.

My XP hard disk had 32GB "used".

Macrium installed like a charm and I successfully created an image on an external hard drive.

However, while going about my search for "Ghost files" I found the following files created by Macrium:

C:\boot\Macrium 115MB
    C:\Documents and Settings\All users\ApplicationData\Macrium 125MB
    C:\Documents and Settings\Me\StartMenu\Programs\MacriumReflect\
    C:\ProgramFiles\Macrium 59MB
    C:\Temp\Macrium\ with the original downloader and 154MB file
    C:\Documents and Settings\Me\MyDocuments\Reflect\MacriumImaging_F.x ml
    C:\Windows\Installer\Macrium\Win AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\boot.Sdi
    C:\Windows\Temp empty

Altogether, the total space occupied by the above was 1/2 of a GB, excluding
    the image and "other" files on the external drive.

Is there an imaging program that does not occupy so much space? Or is this
    the regular routine when imaging? Can any of the above be deleted?

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Paul,

.5 GB is NOTHING for a windows program. I don't think you'll find an imaging program that will take much less space if any. For the most part Macrium is fairly light weight. If you are really concerned about the space it takes up create a Boot CD or USB key or two and then uninstall the program and do all your images from the boot media (that's the way I do all of mine). You can even install the Boot Media to a partition on your Backup HD see my instructions here.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The most recent Windows program that I installed...25.1 gigs!
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul do you have a 40GB hard drive and your concern is trying to ensure a clean hard drive as much as possible?
    --- You mention that the hard drive had 32GB used and MR added 1/2GB
    --- If that's the case, you have about 20% free space which is ok, but keep an eye on it as you might need to consider cleaning up a little more

I have an XP machine and it only has a 30GB hard drive
    --- Fortunately in my case my hard drive only has 18GB used space
    --- I keep it as clean as possible as I am a simple computer user but with a small hard drive, I can imagine an added 1/2GB can be a concern

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. The drive is small. I only have 8GB of data files, so committing 1/2GB to a program that will help me keep 24GB of Windows program files.

It took quite a long time for Macrium to create this Image.
    If I have to make a new Image after every change in the system, then it looks like one could spend
    (cumulatively) more time Imaging every week, than re-installing Windows when/if.

The big concern I have with re-installing Windows is with FIOS. My wife's PC is used for her sewing and is not connected to the Internet and I had to re-install Windows when a partition filled up and locked. With help from the Lounge, it did not take long to reformat and re-install Windows--but her PC has no FIOS connection.

Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

I'm not sure why FIOS should have anything to do with your images unless you are backing up to the Cloud or a NAS drive. If you are imaging to a USB connected external HD FIOS has no function and is not necessary! Now just how old is your XP machine? The reason I ask is that unless your machine has only USB 1.0 ports it shouldn't take long to image a 40Gb drive over a USB 2.0 port. Could you please elaborate?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the Imaging time took 1 hour and 50 minutes (23.6GB on the external drive) and that will be required each time I Image, then I have concluded that it might be more efficient to re-install windows (if I prepare for it properly).

This notebook is 10 years old. I thought it had a USB 2. Maybe there are too many USB
    installs:

See: USB.jpg

My concern is that I did NOT install FIOS, a Verizon tech installed FIOS and spent three hours doing it and that was a long time ago. If I call Verizon, they charge $75 to visit and $75 per hour.

Any guidance on installing / re-installing FIOS would be very helpful and sincerely appreciated. I do have the original FIOS install disks, but they did not work for the tech since he downloaded stuff at the direction of their tech help desk.

Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

I can't imagine where a reinstall would be less painful than restoring from an image, even an old image! Consider what you have to do to reinstall windows.
    1. Backup your Data
    2. Reinstall windows from your media
    3. Reload all the windows updates since your media was created
    4. Reload all of your programs
    5. Update all your programs if you don't have current versions
    6. Recreate all the settings you have customized for windows and each of your programs
    7. Restore your data backup.

To restore an image usually only takes about as long as it did to make image and all of the above is accomplished with the exception of reloading your data backup and adding any updates/changes made since that image was taken. The last time I got caught flatfooted w/o an image it took me 3 days to completely reload windows! YMMV.

The image you took that took so long did you make it from a Macrium boot disk or USB key? Doing it this way makes sure that there are no background processes running in windows to slow the process down. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One usually needs to back up data more frequently and make system images less frequently. Some can find a happy medium but I backup data much more frequently than I make system images...maybe only two a year unless some major change forces another one.

A ten year old notebook is just going to be slow at everything, period, its amazing its still operating at this point, I have ten year old desktops that have good components for back then but not a single laptop made it that long.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I made the image using Macrium running on the Notebook and sent the image to a Seagate USB 1T drive.
    I with Macrium free, I was only able to create a Linux CD. I was able to view and copy files that were in the image.

I did find your article HERE about creating the image from the CD or a USB stick. Do I understand correctly that I could uninstall Macrium from my Notebook and just use the CD or USB to make and restore images and/or backups? Maybe I read your article too quickly. If my problem is the USB, then I would think everything would be slower creating and restoring images from the USB stick to the Seagate.

Did you notice how many USB installs there were in the screen shot I posted? Is that something that needs to be re-done? Almost every time I put a USB stick or upload from my camera, it seems to do a new hardware install.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Notebook has been running without a battery ( I still have the original unused battery ). I could have purchased a desktop. Prior units, including one that I built-up were all desktops.

I have been looking at the ads for new PC's. Not many desktops. Mostly tablets and notebooks. Are parts available for desktops?

I went to see what DELL had available in a desktop. They have units with Win7 and you get Win8 for later. Does that make sense? I don't take my Notebook anywhere now because I am retired.

Paul

Thanks
    Paul,

Yes if you create boot media you can uninstall Macrium from your HD.

You should be able to make the Windows PE version using Macrium Free but you have to manually download the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) before you can do this. I highly recommend using the Win PE version over the Linux version. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-02-12)