New Lounger
    Thanks

Security Gone Wild: Can't Delete a Folder in Win 7 - episode 2

This sounds similar to an earlier post. I am having the same problem, and I cannot seem to get past it. My folder is C:\Users\{myUserName}\Documents\My TiVo Recordings for Portables. I want to install the newer version of Tivo desktop, but it needs access to this folder. I started simply enough - right-click and delete. Access Denied, and then I started down a long road. I tried changing security, run as admin and then try delete and try to change security; login as admin and do the same. I tried from the command prompt with icacls, and then takeown, I ran the command prompt as admin, etc. I find it interesting that when I try to change ownership from Windows Properties popup, it says that it is "unable to display the current owner". What the heck does that mean? Is something badly corrupted?
    The problem seems related to when I tried to set up Windows Media Center (never again), but I don't really know if that is the root cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ken

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would run a Check Disk on your dirve to see if it's OK.
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Right click on C: and select Properties > Tools > Check now. If you are advised that the check can't be run, select the option to run on restart, then restart.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could also go Start, type troubleshoot - press Enter then select View All from the left pane and there are two fixes for WMP, one to make the files show up in the Library and the other to reset WMP that you could try if you think it relates to WMP.

If it isn't too long ago since you were playing with the WMP settings, then you could also try a restore point.

Thanks
    Hi Ken, find the file as you usually do, right click it and select as in my image.

GB.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses, which unfortunately didn't fix solve the problem. I did find a solution. A buddy at work suggested that some piece of software had it locked. So I started an safe mode. That allowed me to remove the folder. The culprit was Tivo object that reported an error on restart. So I searched that out and killed it. Things are now back to where they should be.

I appreciate the help and suggestions.