New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems downloading video in Firefox

Because I have buffering issues, I almost always download the videos I want to watch from the NHL.com website (specifically the Pittsburgh Penguins), using the VideoDownloadHelper plug-in. I've never had a problem DLing the videos and except for a select few, still don't.

It's the select few that are giving me trouble--there are four videos which do NOT make the little icon in the address bar spin. Even copying and pasting the url of the video into the DL manager only gets me an html file called 'console.html', not a video file.

Since I can DL other vids from the site, I know it's not a compatibility issue with the plug-in.

I guess my question is, is there some way to determine what is stopping these videos from downloading? Or is there some (other) way to download them?

Downloading for personal use only, NOT to upload anywhere else like YouTube, etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have occasionally had problems similar to this. Not with that site, but with other sites. I discovered my problem was utilization of ghostery. Sometimes I have to turn ghostery off to get VideoDownloadHelper to allow the downloads. Perhaps a long shot, but if you use ghostery, it’s worth a try. Simply click Pause Blocking in ghostery and retry. On my computer it’s very sporadic but does sometimes free it.
    Good luck,
    Michael

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked to see if I had that running and I didn't. But thanks for the suggestion just the same!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had a few like this. I believe it is possible to tag a flash video as non-downloadable but I would have no idea how to do it!

There are a couple of other thinks you could try. One is to use a standalone downloader - I used to use YTD Video Downloader (Google it for the latest version) before I discovered VideoDownloadHelper. Bit of a pain having to respecify your Google/Yahoo credentials for each limited access file but it works most of the time, although you occasionally run into a video that wont download.

The other way if much less reliable and depends of a whole lot of PC settings and the size of the video. For small to medium ones you can sometimes get them out of the Firefox cache. I'll assume you either know how to do that or else it will be too fraught. Tip - it helps after loading the video and before you start playing it to clear the cache at that point. The reason is that cached files have random 8 digit file names with no file type so finding the video can be a challenge in a cluttered cache. If it's a video you really really want to keep, then it may be worth doing, otherwise don't bother!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Firefox and sometimes non-downloadable videos can be retrieved from the page source.

Right click a blank area on the page --> view page source.
    This opens another page with the source code.
    In turn, search for flv, swf, mp4, m4v etc.
    If it's successful, you should find a web address with the search term at the end.
    Copy the address and "paste & go" into a new tab.
    If you're in luck, a download box will appear.
    Last edited by apresau; 2014-02-06 at 19:56.