Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Staying safe on the Internet — year round

PATCH WATCH

Staying safe on the Internet — year round

By Susan Bradley

February 11 was "Safer Internet Day," a world-wide event organized to promote "more responsible use of online technology." I'd rather have a safe Internet year, which always includes keeping Internet Explorer up to date — along with adding other critical security fixes.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/staying-safe-on-the-internet-year-round/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-02-12 at 20:35.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2014-02-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9-10-11 patching

I hope I am posting in the correct forum.

My Thinkpad laptop runs windows 7 Pro SP1, and I have no plans to use Win 8.
    I use Firefox for my browser most of the time, but I do patch Internet Explorer when Susan advises to do so since it is so intertwined with the OS.
    Now I realized that I still have IE 9 (9.0.8112.14621) because it seemed that IE 10 was buggy when it first came out. So now that IE 11 is released, will my machine be more secure (as in Safer Internet Day) if I update to the latest IE?
    And if so, is it necessary to install IE 10 first, or better to install IE11 right on top of IE9?
    Thanks for any guidance.
    A

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would go straight to IE11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

aczer (2014-02-15)

Thanks
    Susan, my experience with IE 11 was bad -- there were some problems with it (it's been a while, so I don't remember what they were), which disappeared when I reverted back to IE 10. (This was with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.)

Perhaps IE 11 is more secure than IE 10. But the frustrations I experienced caused me to abandon IE 11.

In your opinion, is IE 10 less secure than IE 11? If so, how much less?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    In your opinion, is IE 10 less secure than IE 11? If so, how much less?
    Right at the moment, much less secure:

Operation Snowman

Update to Internet Explorer 11: The public exploit for this vulnerability does not work with Internet Explorer 11. (and/or Use the Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-02-15 at 09:56.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

aczer (2014-02-15),mrjimphelps (2014-02-14)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank your Bruce for the advice and the two links. I am impressed and appreciative of the work done by folks at FireEye and CERT.

Meanwhile, I wondered why you emphasized IE11 OR EMET. Would there be any reason (such as system performance) NOT to install both?
    Thanks again.
    A

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aczer View Post
    Thank your Bruce for the advice and the two links. I am impressed and appreciative of the work done by folks at FireEye and CERT.

Meanwhile, I wondered why you emphasized IE11 OR EMET. Would there be any reason (such as system performance) NOT to install both?
    Thanks again.
    A
    No, sorry. The emphasis was unintentional (and parentheses weren't really clear either), so I've edited it now.

I was trying to answer about upgrading IE10 to IE11, but felt I should include the EMET alternative (or addition!).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-02-15 at 09:55.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It’s surprising that there are no reports of problems installing this week’s MS patches, in particular the IE cumulative update KB 2909921. Am I the only person to encounter this?

Starting with my new Win8 64bit PC, I downloaded 12 patches, the 6 for Office 2010 installed successfully and the others – all for Windows – failed. Following this an attempt to install the two for IE again failed. Turning my attention to the others, it was possible to download and install them in pairs, rebooting each time, and then kb 2902212 on its own, but the cumulative update for IE 2909921 fails every time, and there have now been about 10 attempts, spread over three days.

Whilst this was going on I started on the wife’s old Win 8 32 bit PC. Opening Windows Update revealed that Windows had switched itself to automatic update, and had downloaded about 20 patches and was awaiting a reboot to install them. Unable to get round this, I rebooted and they all failed. After changing back to let me choose when to download and install, I selected just the 6 Windows patches, but they again failed. Following the same procedure as with my PC, it was eventually possible to install them all, including 2909921.

Turning my attention to the Win8 32 bit laptop today, it was necessary to go through the now established procedure, with the cumulative update still refusing to install.

In summary , the 64 bit PC is unable to install 2909921, whereas one of the 32 bit machines – the oldest of the three – has installed it and the other hasn’t. As all three are from Dell, I’m beginning to wonder whether the problem is due to them.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-02-15 at 10:53. Reason: added colour

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought it might be helpful to others to report my experience so far in migrating from IE 9 to IE 11.
    First, set IE 9 as the default browser (instead of Firefox).
    Then I checked the IE 11 offering in Windows Update all by itself (no other updates checked).
    That ran for a while and then failed with "error code 9C47 Windows Update encountered an error".

So, then I used the browser to go to the MS Download Center and got the whole installation package, which seemed to install just fine. After that, immediately returned to Windows Update and installed the Cumulative Security Update for IE 11 - KB 2909921.
    So far so good.

Thanks
    I also had problems with KB2909921 on my Windows 8.1 pro x64 Laptop (no problems with Win XP or Win 7 pro x64).

I tried several times with only this update checked in Windows Update and it failed each time.

Then I went to the Microsoft support page for this update and downloaded the fix as a standalone file. Running this directly on the Laptop installed without a problem.

All other patches I chose for installation using Windows Update worked fine, including the dreaded ".NET" security updates.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    I also had problems with KB2909921 on my Windows 8.1 pro x64 Laptop (no problems with Win XP or Win 7 pro x64).

I tried several times with only this update checked in Windows Update and it failed each time.

Then I went to the Microsoft support page for this update and downloaded the fix as a standalone file. Running this directly on the Laptop installed without a problem.

All other patches I chose for installation using Windows Update worked fine, including the dreaded ".NET" security updates.
    I tried the Microsoft web site two or three times, and was always referred to Control Panel/Windows Update.

Thanks
    Georgelee,

You can find all the updates listed for each version of Internet Explorer for each version of Windows at the following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...letin/ms14-010

Good luck with the update.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    Georgelee,

You can find all the updates listed for each version of Internet Explorer for each version of Windows at the following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...letin/ms14-010

Good luck with the update.
    Thanks for the link, but it’s no more successful than the others that have been tried.

It appears to download the installer or the update – I’m not sure which - states it is configuring the updates, then around the 74% stage announces ‘Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes.’ Usually this is followed by an announcement that it is restarting the PC, but goes on to repeat the Reverting Changes again – quite a long process.

aczer. I wanted to try your method as a possible solution, but there doesn’t appear to be any way to upgrade to IE11, and I don’t recall ever having been offered it. Perhaps it’s necessary to get Win 8.1 first.

Thanks
    Georgelee,

I should have mentioned that I disabled Avast AntiVirus and Program guard in Online Armor before trying to install KB2909921. You should consider disabling whatever AV program you are using just long enough to install the update.

Also, you should run the installer file "As Administrator" to be sure you don't run into access control issues.

My download installer file was: Windows8.1-KB2909921-x64.msu - which was 35,563,978 bytes in size.

I hope this helps.

One more thing, my default browser is Firefox and I did not change that for the install; also, Internet Explorer 11 was pre-installed on my Windows 8.1 laptop when I bought it.

I too went through the process you described where Windows Reverted the changes and re-booted twice, while trying to install this update through Windows Update. This was a process I had never seen before Win 8.1. But the downloaded file provided the solution for me.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2014-02-17 at 17:24. Reason: Added "one more thing"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

rayray (2014-03-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast