5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Preventing unwanted mapped-drive disconnects

LANGALIST PLUS

Preventing unwanted mapped-drive disconnects

By Fred Langa

Windows annoyingly drops connections to mapped drives after 15 minutes of inactivity. Here's how to adjust the timeouts to keep your connections alive. Plus: New hacks may expose browser-stored passwords, more on jv16 PowerTools, and an excellent way to tame Chrome's excessive background activity.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/preventing-unwanted-mapped-drive-disconnects/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Two shortcomings in OneTab should be fixed:-
    1. With, lets say a dozen tabs open, a click on OneTab will move all of them. But, to move just one open tab you have to drag it out to open another chrome and then click on OneTab. Solution could be a 'rightclick' on the the tab you want to move with a drop down facility.
    2. OneTab collects duplicates. It should just replace the old one with the new one of the same website.

OneTab is excellent otherwise, even for those who use Pocket.
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Preventing unwanted mapped-drive disconnects. Thank you very much for that article. I use Outlook 2010 on a networked computer that has a drive mapped on my main server so that I can keep my .pst file on one computer only. I was getting problems with Outlook failing because the drive became unmapped and I had no idea that Windows closed "unused" (in it's opinion!!) drives. Once I implemented the registry changes on the networked computer, hey presto, no failures. Very good article and as always well explained and written.

Long time "Langalist" user. Thanks Fred.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

I enjoy the info you put out in your Column, I note that you recommend CCeaner but I wonder why I have not seen any information about IOBit Advanced System Care. I have used both the free and paid versions, and have found that it keeps my system running pretty well. It includes also anti Malware software and defragment for your hard drive. I have been reading your entries for a long time, started reading when it was Langa List and still love to read today.
    Last edited by jq2intx; 2014-02-13 at 15:50. Reason: forgot to add that I am a long time reader.