5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Readers write about the coming XP end-time

Readers write about the coming XP end-time

By Kathleen Atkins

After we published Woody Leonhard's Feb. 6 Top Story, "A last reprieve for the enduring Windows XP?" we soon had more than the usual number of letters; most of them were from readers asking for help delaying the end of the useful life of XP on their computers.

This week, we share four of the more interesting reader reactions to the imminent or not end of life of Microsoft's famous old operating system plus two reader remarks about the latest iTunes update.

The full text of this column is posted at (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

5 Star Lounger
    Folks can lock down their XP OS using programs like Deep Freeze (or, like in my case, I use Virtualbox and just periodically recover from a golden point which takes all of about 3 to 4 seconds to do). XP can last years into the future if you protect is through virtualization techniques. I also run SandboxIE in my VM (in essence, I'm double-sandboxed). Recently, Invincea acquired SandboxIE and they incorporated it into their own product that also includes detection protection (think of it as a uber powerful anti-virus program). I'm still grandfathered in with SandboxIE (care less about detection since I delete my whole VM way often). Still, virtualization makes any OS uber secure and this is the way to protect it imo.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lylejk For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-02-14)