New Lounger
    Thanks

Extra footer table not visible in tracked changes Final view, only visible once all changes accepted

Hi there,

I'm working on a Word 2010 template with tracked changes. The template has a table in the footer. The template looks fine in Final view (without showing mark up). But when I turn off tracked changes and accept all changes in the template, an extra footer table appears. This also appears in any document made from the template when all tracked changes have been accepted.

Why is Word 2010 not showing this table in Final view when it shows when I accept all changes? I presumed that Final view would show me how the document would look with all changes accepted, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to prevent Word showing a bogus Final view?

Regards,

CharlB

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    If your errant content is contained within a field, it may be that the field code is unable to properly evaluate the conditions that are prerequisites to displaying its output until the changes have been accepted. The solution in such cases is to accept changes that affect fields, for which see the macro below. You can also get problems where auto-numbered paragraphs are used, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.
    Code:
    Sub AcceptTrackedFields()
    'This sub accepts any tracked changes affecting fields
    Dim Story As Range, oFld As Field, oRev As Revision, Rng As Range
    With ActiveDocument
      ' Loop through all range objects and accept tracked changes on fields
      For Each Story In .StoryRanges
        For Each oRev In Story.Revisions
          For Each oFld In oRev.Range.Fields
            oFld.ShowCodes = True
            Set Rng = oFld.Code
            With Rng
              .MoveEndUntil cset:=Chr(21), Count:=wdForward
              .MoveEndUntil cset:=Chr(19), Count:=wdBackward
              .End = .End + 1
              .Start = .Start - 1
              oFld.ShowCodes = False
              .Revisions.AcceptAll
            End With
          Next
        Next
      Next
    End With
    Set Rng = Nothing
    End Sub
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. The extra footer table is not in a field, it's in the footer. Unless footers are fields, which is something I haven't heard before.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Fields can exist in footers, and tables can exist in fields. The simplest way of finding out whether your footer has a field is to press Alt-F9 to expose the document's field codes, then look at the footer content. Anything within a field will be bounded by a pair of field braces (i.e. { } )
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Macropod,

There are no fields in the footer. There is simply a table that doesn't show up in tracked changes Final view but it does show up after all tracked changes have been accepted.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you attach a document to a post with some representative data (delete anything sensitive), including the problem footer & table? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]