Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner list of Registry problems

I ran CCleaner and got list of problems in the registry which I hesitate to allow CCleaner to ‘just’ fix …..
    I’ve copied the items into a text file…..S/A

1. Which registry entries are safe to remove using CCleaner …..???
    2. What’s the best (easiest) way to create a ‘file back-up’ for the items…..???.....One that will give me the ability to ‘restore’ any that I shouldn’t have removed…
    3. Should I work through the items by ‘name’----ie: all Silverlight, all AVG..etc….???

Can someone help me……… Any / All help greatly appreciated……Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2014 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Thanks
    Hiya.

As a safety precaution, I recommend most users unchecking the top 3 or 4 items in CCleaners Registry list. Cleaning/fixing the Registry is best left alone until/if you hit a problem with something like an install that's failing and the error message/log suggests an old Registry entry could be at fault.

Having said that, it looks like you should be fine to remove all but the Unused File Extensions - which aren't going to be a problem anyway. Always save a backup .reg file of each CCleaner Registry run when it prompts you to, just in case (if you've not hit an issue within ~30 days, you should be safe to delete it).

While you're cleaning up, I suggest you use the AVG Removal tool to ensure there are no further dregs left - unless you have moved on to a more recent/different version of AVG: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Have you scanned with MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) recently? There's a trace of iSearch showing, it could be part of a malware toolbar/search hijacker.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2014-02-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow.......Thank you for your reply.....
    No, I haven't used MalwareBytes before....Will look into it....As well as the AVG Removal tool....
    Re saving a backup .reg file ....To clarify---You're saying 1--once I click the 'fix it' button, I'll be prompted to save a backup which will be some kind of 'vault' which stores the items---thus, I don't need to create a separate 'back-up' of some kind....2-- I can either restore to the registry if need be...or....2--Delete from the vault after '30 days'.....Right....???
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2014 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Thanks
    Hi VWDRV1, these are the settings I use & have never had a problem.

RR.JPG
    Click image to enlarge it.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-04-10),VWDRV1 (2014-02-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner......Thank you.....Will follow that...

Thanks
    I see you have AVG2014 (Free), according to your sig., don't use the AVG Removal tool unless you want to do a complete AVG reinstall

Install MalwareBytes (don't select the Trial install, only the basic free version is needed), update it and run the Quick scan (it's much faster than a full scan and is 95%+ as effective at picking up details of interest, in my experience. Don't remove everything found, save the log and copy/paste it in a reply here, someone will check it over for you.

Yes, CCleaner will prompt you to save a backup of the Registry, save it in your documents folder. If you hit problems afterwards, you can simply double-click the file to restore (the majority of - there are some that may silently fail due to incorrect permissions - rare, usually entries created during Windows' install) the entries.

@George: I suggest you look over your CCleaner settings again, I suspect that 2x of those unchecked entries are unchecked for the wrong reasons

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow.....OK, will review everything in detail to be sure I follow your instructions.....Thank you / Thank you.....I really appreciate your help....

Thanks
    in my experience. Don't remove everything found
    In my experience with MalwareBytes, I always remove everything found and have never run into a problem. As far as I'm concerned, PUP should stand for "Probably Unwanted Programs" instead of "Potentially Unwanted Programs".

Jerry

Thanks
    When it comes to unwanted toolbars, as this is likely to be, the best route is to find the uninstaller and start the removal process there. It also gives the user a better chance of understanding what to watch for in the future to avoid these situations.

My experience suggests diagnosis first, extreme cases of action first can lead to a non-bootable computer.

Potentially or Probably? That would need some valid data like a discussion with the user(s) and details of the PC's history to decide, otherwise, like heuristics, it's just guesswork.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    When it comes to unwanted toolbars, as this is likely to be, the best route is to find the uninstaller and start the removal process there. It also gives the user a better chance of understanding what to watch for in the future to avoid these situations.

My experience suggests diagnosis first, extreme cases of action first can lead to a non-bootable computer.

Potentially or Probably? That would need some valid data like a discussion with the user(s) and details of the PC's history to decide, otherwise, like heuristics, it's just guesswork.
    The most common complaints I see are search hijacks even though unwanted toolbars are present as well in most cases. I agree checking for an uninstall is the first step but I always run Malwarebytes afterwards. It has never left me with an unbootable computer. In rare cases it does not cure the infection but never an unbootable situation. As I stated, I have yet to find any of what Malwarebytes finds is actually wanted by my clients so that qualifies as Probably rather than Possibly and not guesswork in my mind.

Jerry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2014-02-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VWDRV1 View Post
    I ran CCleaner and got list of problems in the registry which I hesitate to allow CCleaner to ‘just’ fix …..
    I’ve copied the items into a text file…..S/A

1. Which registry entries are safe to remove using CCleaner …..???
    2. What’s the best (easiest) way to create a ‘file back-up’ for the items…..???.....One that will give me the ability to ‘restore’ any that I shouldn’t have removed…
    3. Should I work through the items by ‘name’----ie: all Silverlight, all AVG..etc….???

Can someone help me……… Any / All help greatly appreciated……Thank you
    Not knowing what to remove is the very best rational I can think of for just leaving the whole registry cleaning thing alone.

*Newer OS's like Vista through to W8.1 just don't need the kind of routine registry cleaning that older OS's did.
    *A registry tool's own "restore" feature can be notoriously unreliable.
    *If you do not have a problem with your system, especially newer systems, leave well enough alone.

...But if you must tinker with registry cleaners, make certain you have an up to date operating system image to restore if things go south.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-02-17 at 08:00.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2014-02-14),Mr.Grumpy (2014-08-24),ruirib (2014-02-15),VWDRV1 (2014-02-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Satrow……I ran CCleaner ‘Fix It’ on all items other than Unused File Extensions as you suggested…..

Before getting into the results---FYI----There are 2 (Windows) User Accounts set up on this computer (mine and hubby’s)….. I ran CCleaner scans on each account….I compared each item by item----Most of the items were identical….

The scan you reviewed was from my user account….

After doing the ‘Fix It’ under my user account , I ran a new CCleaner scan on each account……
    ------------------------------
    There’s now one new item on my user account…..

Invalid class reference WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\exp lorer\Browser Helper Objects\{3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0}

-------------------------------------

Here’s what’s on my husband’s user account now…..I assume I can run “Fix It’ on 8 of the 9 items on his user account…..That will leave the same ‘WormRadar’ in question……

Application Paths Issue C:\Windows\TEMP\{A12FD72E-2AC0-4420-831F-18CDD5667A22}.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    Application Paths Issue C:\Windows\TEMP\{98D4788A-4C3C-4559-8F52-83ED7783C0EC}.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    Application Paths Issue C:\Windows\TEMP\{7E1D88BE-9DC6-419D-8D46-E0FD0453C739}.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    Application Paths Issue C:\Windows\TEMP\{FBE48384-8B44-48BA-99BD-F2BEB497D721}.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    Invalid class reference WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\exp lorer\Browser Helper Objects\{3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0}
    Invalid file reference .current - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\Sounds\scan_rs_alert.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\avgtray\avgtrayRSAlert \.current
    Invalid file reference .current - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\Sounds\scan_finish_threat_found. wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\avgtray\avgtrayScanFin ishedThreatFound\.current
    Invalid file reference .current - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\Sounds\update_end_fail.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\avgtray\avgtrayUpdEndF ail\.current
    Invalid file reference .current - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\Sounds\scan_os_alert.wav HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\avgtray\avgtrayWSAlert \.current
    ----------------------------
    I haven’t done anything yet with MalWareBytes…..

Thank you in advance for all your help on this…..

Thanks
    Yes, it's safe to remove all those entries on both accounts.

The WormRadar is invalid - it's no longer installed, probably removed by AVG as it's considered bad, a browser redirect.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK---Will remove them.....Then will be proceeding to MalWareBytes......One question about MalWareBytes-----Should I continue to post in this thread or should I start a new thread.....???.....Thank you

Thanks
    Continue here, it's easier to keep track of the history if it's all together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast